Why I don't build ships

Gene Howe

My Grandparents (Mom’s side) lived on Plum Island, in Ma, My grandfather was a stubborn Irish (may be a redundancy there :) ) contrarian (stick woulda loved him) American. In the late 50’s he built an oak boat. At the time a boat 12 feet and longer had to be registered. He built the boat 11 feet 11 inches, and kept a tape measure on the boat. When he would get stopped for no registration, he would politely allow them to board his boat, he’d give them the tape measure and tell them to measure the boat. After they proved that the boat was under the mandatory registered length requirement, he would order them to get the %^$# off HIS boat. :)  I loved that man! This would be the Grandpa that built the mangers I was trying to recreate.

3 hours ago, Larry Jenkins said:

Both.  I bought the Niagara kit and soon discovered that it was a little over my head.  Sold the started kit to Al Berube.  He has brought it along very nicely.  Email him on this site.

Larry

Good to see you here Larry.   Hope you are doing ok.   Any special projects in the works? 

22 hours ago, Larry Jenkins said:

Because you asked..  Many of you know I design houses.  I am building a 1/2" = 1 foot model of my latest one.  Over 3000 square feet, but quite unusual.  it's a home with a captive inner yard that opens to the sky.  There is a 5 foot perimeter inside hallway all around the outside area.

I'm making it out of Balsa wood.  Had to make many jigs to ensure  parts are consistent.  Will try to post images when I get it done.

Not bad for an 87 year old fart..

Larry

Hey @Larry Jenkins , Good to hear you still kicking. I made the Chess set you posted on Wood and about a month ago Mike Peace asked for thr plans I had . Seems he is doing some comparisons or something  for a video.