Bird house on a tall break a way pole

Smallpatch

3 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

The swallows we have will not use bird houses of any kind..  They make their own nest under our dock roof

Are you talking about "Barn" Swallows Patch? they are pesky and persistent little birds, but agreed, the poop is worth having them around. I usually have 4 to 5 pairs each summer. They follow me around when I mow since I'm stirring up mosquitoes and other insects. I've nearly run into the fence more than once watching them swoop in and out...I've ducked many times too thinking they were going to hit me but their on-board flight systems is smarter than me.

Martins are pretty finicky aren't they? Usually want the same besting box they had before and has to be cleaned each season?

5 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

I originally built the tall pole for just one bird house but then I decided to add another house and a larger platform. So to offset the extra weight at the top I added the extra pipe on to the bottom of the swing away pole. You have to experiment with the right balance.

Or use it to catapult yourself into the lake.  WHEEEEE!!!!

That it a great idea for grtting the house up on top of a long pole.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a family who had gourds to house birds.  They had a pulley at the top of the pole and there was a hook on top of the bar.  He made something to keep the bar close to the pole and would simply pull on the rope to raise and lower all those gourds.  Then he had a bird house with a place for the rope to be inside a channel of the house.  The pole had the same setup.  So he raised and lowers it when needed.  Smart set up.