Bamboo Butcher Block

Ron Altier

I have made a few butcher blocks over the years and my wife used an old one I made 20 years ago. However I am seeing a lot of blocks made of Bamboo. My wife got a small one and really likes it. It is very hard and almost non porous. It is easily cleaned and looks good. I don't like working with the stuff, it is VERY hard and splinters like crazy

Any opinions on Bamboo in a butcher block?

I use a Bamboo cutting board, and love it. The grain goes lengthwise,not end grain. They are easy to clean in hot water and soap. I read somewhere that they are very high in glue which makes them very durable. I also have an end grain one that was given to me. I have not used it yet. From what I gather, cutting them is hard on blades,and bits because of the high glue content.

Herb

I have a small one (maybe 6" sq.) that I have used for years. It is the first one I reach for unless I'm dealing with larger quantities/sizes. It is really impervious to water and cleans well.

I can't speak to "working" with it. However, I would buy one before trying to deal with it in a shop environment.