The scoop on cordless tools

I have some DeWalt battery powered tools.  I love the tools, but I use the batteries in a few years.  A couple of thoughts here.  

First, if you charge at least every 3 months, your batteries will normally last longer according to an electrician friend of mine.  

Secondly, when the battery goes, try locating something like a Battery Source store, Batteries + Lamps or some place such as that.  They can fix you up in just a few minutes and won't cost an arm and a leg.  I purchased two rebuilt batteries for my sons DeWalt kit that has a recip, a circular, drill driver and a flashlight for $100 at Christmas and they weren't on sale.  I also purchased my car battery there.  I am no longer dependent on a manufacturer or some business going busted for my batteries.  Just look for a battery specialty store.  :)

On 2/12/2019 at 4:19 PM, HARO50 said:

MANY years ago, I bought a Craftsman 16.8 (I think) volt drill kit, complete with a work light. I loved that drill, and the light was the handiest I've ever owned. When the batteries finally gave out, I went back to Sears to buy replacements, only to be told they were no longer available. I could have bought a 19.2 volt set for less than the cost of two batteries, but I was tinkled off with Sears, so I went with 18 volt Ridgid instead. BIG mistake! Both batteries stopped taking a charge after only a few years, so I went to DeWalt 18 Volt, and added a bare tool impact driver. Now it looks like DeWalt is phasing out the 18 v. in favour of 20 v. tools. :( Wish I could still get those 16.8 V. batteries!

John

John, you may still be able to get them from a third party retailer if you are serious about replacing them. Here we have Batteries + stores and others that can either get, or rebuild the batteries (unless they are Li-ion). If you can't find a retailer close to home, you might look to the Niagara Falls/Buffalo area...not too far from you. I feel your pain, though!

Everyone has their favorite brand. In my case I chose Ryobi and have never had an issue. Others have had good luck with Hitachi and other brands, Bosch is excellent. The retailers will probably discontinue and supporting the tools before they quit. Just like DeWalt phasing out the 18V tools.

Ooppps! I see the guys beat me to it...I see they offered the same advise.

Edited by schnewj

On 2/10/2019 at 8:24 PM, Grandpadave52 said:

Old adage, "give them the razor, sell 'em blades for life."

I think Henry Ford said he'd give away the Model Ts if he could have exclusive rights on repair parts.

Seems to be the way with laser printers nowadays.  My last printer cost $49, replacement cartridge for the prior one was $79