The scoop on cordless tools

Of course, we wonder how they define what a charging cycle is? Typically, one charging cycle equals running a battery down and charging it up again. However, most batteries will count one full charging cycle every time you throw your battery on the charger, regardless of how much charge the battery actually needed.

I use a Stinger flashlight everyday, and have for 15 years maybe.  This is very true and as a result I only charge when the battery is depleted.  Some days I wipe it out before day is over, sometimes 2-3 days between charges.  

I have some Ryobi Li-Ions that are close to eight years old and are as strong as the day I bought them. I have a 1/2 dozen that get rotated as needed. I find that the Ryobi batteries can be had in two packs around Christmas time for about $100.

I have had problems with new batteries not wanting to take a charge. If after the third attempt they don't fully charge back they go for an exchange...this has only happened a couple of times.

I went to the Ryobi's after getting disgusted with the DeWalt Ni-cads biting the dust in a short period. Don't get me wrong I truly loved my DeWalts but they went bye-bye because of the batteries...cost and longevity.

As popular as the DeWalts are, I hope that they have solved the battery issue. Unfortunately, I will probably not switch back. Like most (and insert your brand here), I have invested heavily in the Ryobis in the past 15 years and it would be too expensive to "switch horses in mid-stream" at this point and go back to the DeWalts.

56 minutes ago, schnewj said:

I find that the Ryobi batteries can be had in two packs around Christmas time for about $100.

Bill..Watch BORG in the Spring too. Often times starting close to Good Friday, then a few weekends thereafter, they'll have some pretty enticing promotional's which usually include battery packs or greatly reduced tool only price. Sometimes near the end of summer or early fall, they'll run a similar sale. A year or so ago, I bought four batteries for the regular price of two plus an extra charger.

I have Craftsman 12V & 19.2V NiCd that have performed well for years. Took advantage of one of the BORG's spring sales a couple of years back for a Ryobi 18V Li-Ion drill not only b/c of the great package price, but local availability and the ever expanding Ryobi 18V platform offerings.

Bottom line, both the Craftsman & Ryobi tools have performed very well for me and meet all of my needs. I don't use them every day or every month for that matter so might be different if that was the case.

1 hour ago, Stick486 said:

so phase into Bosch...

Why? I don't have any issues with the Ryobi's they function just fine for me, and I have never had one fail or not perform. Also, since I have no need to replace anything why would I phase into another brand? As much as I do like the Bosch tools, I don't have a NEED to switch.

3 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Something Ryobi has done is the ability to use the newer 18volt lithium batteries in the older 18volt tools.  No adapters, just plug it in and use the tool.  

Craftsman did the same with the 19.2V platform; not sure, but I think the tools were made by Ryobi for Craftsman...NiCd's just added an additional internal battery for go from 18v to 19.2v.

6 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Something Ryobi has done is the ability to use the newer 18volt lithium batteries in the older 18volt tools.  No adapters, just plug it in and use the tool.  

Dewalt started out that way and then went to the adapters.  I have a set of the first style.

image.png.79e7e9e7bcb60d2f5898227081aa6120.png

MANY years ago, I bought a Craftsman 16.8 (I think) volt drill kit, complete with a work light. I loved that drill, and the light was the handiest I've ever owned. When the batteries finally gave out, I went back to Sears to buy replacements, only to be told they were no longer available. I could have bought a 19.2 volt set for less than the cost of two batteries, but I was tinkled off with Sears, so I went with 18 volt Ridgid instead. BIG mistake! Both batteries stopped taking a charge after only a few years, so I went to DeWalt 18 Volt, and added a bare tool impact driver. Now it looks like DeWalt is phasing out the 18 v. in favour of 20 v. tools. :( Wish I could still get those 16.8 V. batteries!

John