Finger / box joints

kmealy

OK, OK, I'll start it.   

How do you make them?

I've made some using an IncraJig and a router table with a straight bit.  These worked well.

I can probably make them with my SOB dovetail joining jig, but it's so complex, it makes my head hurt every time I use it .

There was a video a couple of years ago about how to set up a guide on a table saw and dado blade.  I used it once and it worked well and with little fussing.    The idea was you set up an auxiliary miter gauge fence with a key that just fits the cut.  Then use that key to offset the fence from the machine's rip fence.  I tried it recently on that sewing machine box and by the time I got twenty or so cuts, the cumulative error was enough that it didn't fit all that well.  My dado set up was not a precise fractional amount, I think. 

I have some friends that made a jig that you wind a threaded rod with a nx16 thread so that every turn advanced the guide 1/16"   I don't make them often enough to justify a couple of days making a jig.

And I call finger joints and box joints the same thing.  Apparently, Stick does not.  ?