Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Michael Thuman

Stained doors and door trim and baseboards but all white windows

Rate this topic

For our house remodel we found the windows are preprimed white over pine. They are still is great condition and no drafts or moisture so replacing them is not in the cards.  

We are going to be changeing the doors, door trim, base molding and shoe molding to be all stained oak.  But the Windows we want to leave white.

What do you guys think?  I am a little aprehensive.  

While not my preferred look Michael, my wife has her views too and prefers painted. One suggestion you might see if there are any contractor/development Model Homes open in your area for a walk-through for ideas and seeing options. I've seen several done as you describe either at the home shows or fairs with similar window treatments. I've also seen several homes with replacement vinyl windows which are white then trimmed in finished wood. All looked fine.

Other options would either be to paint the windows a contrasting color (other than white) or to apply a faux wood finish. 

This is from the web but gives a pictorial conception. Not a bad look at all in IMO, well except for the white "trim" view outside the windows:P

image.png.3b46f18edfeb6c416e4c1b9a27fa4ea2.png

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Using Dave's picture as a starting point, and visualizing the windows and casing/sills in white; I think it would look good with a taller baseboard treatment.

Depending upon the width of the window casing you might consider some type of oak trim work around them.

Edit, I do think if I were leaving the window casing white, I might also leave the door casing white.

IMHO, white and oak look good together.

Edited by Cal

Window trim 2" fluted paint grade then matching rosetts.  All painted.

The Door and trim (3" fluted oak) all stained.

The base board probably 4.5" or around there stained.

I will get pictures out when possible.