Offering plates

Gerald

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Billy B said:

That was my initial reaction, but then I figured that your church members are more generous than most.

Actually this was redesigned about 1 inch shorter. Sanding out pecan once dry is not too bad on a bowl with no detail but getting the rim and the curve underneath is killing me. On a return of a plate that did not make the cut for church (too much bark) yesterday with returning and sanding took 3 hours.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Cal said:

Likely several reasons that pecan has never been a real commercially available lumber.

That is a pretty cool looking measuring device Gerald.  Can you show us the whole tool and tell us something about it?  It looks like and oldie but goodie:)

Actually from a Harbor Freight caliber set, but is handy to have.https://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-technical-measuring-set-94447.html?_br_psugg_q=caliper+set

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Artie it is prototype because just not big enough. But yes they really liked it too and the Pastor asked me if someone was getting this one. Told him maybe later. The prototypes will be Christmas presents. . Counted today curentle have finished or started 22 and still need 5 more the right size to finish up the order. Hurts to have all these and they are just a little small on the rims.

Was thinking yesterday I really did not know what the drying would do to these blanks . Almost look like a hat with the rim folded slightly. Then there was arriving at the final patterns to have the sizes correct.

Edited by Gerald

Gerald, this looks perfect to me.  This looks as good as the ones they have used in many churches that I have attended.  I hate to recommend this because it will cover all your wonderful work and all that grain on the bottom, some felt in the very bottom will keep down the noise of the changed being dropped in or rattling around during the collection.  Maybe, if you could stick in temporarily every Sunday morning, that would be the answer.  Otherwise, it is perfect.  I hope they will accept this work of dedication to your faith community.

1 minute ago, FlGatorwood said:

Gerald, this looks perfect to me.  This looks as good as the ones they have used in many churches that I have attended.  I hate to recommend this because it will cover all your wonderful work and all that grain on the bottom, some felt in the very bottom will keep down the noise of the changed being dropped in or rattling around during the collection.  Maybe, if you could stick in temporarily every Sunday morning, that would be the answer.  Otherwise, it is perfect.  I hope they will accept this work of dedication to your faith community.

Actually that is something that the pastor and staff looked at and the wood without felt is no louder than current aluminum with felt. Then in my opinion if the kids want to make noise they throw the coin in not a drop.

Went to the pecan for I hope the last time today. Blanks are the largest yet. Found a large nail, after I cut thru it , just dulled the saw a little. Better saw chain than gouge. 89BE590C-7181-40F1-A6A1-A7F2BAC1E060.jpeg.abda3449fbb39f97bcb600bc5f5708bd.jpeg

The other half of blank is 5.5 inch thick and the nail is all the way thru. 

558DEF55-C7BC-47B3-84D2-AA35E2AF3E87.jpeg.b27783077067e6ea398903d1fb5775d3.jpeg

This is what the load looked like. I will get a shot of the processed blanks tomorrow.