Kreg KMS7102 Miter Review

1 hour ago, Ron Dudelston said:

The only potential negative that I can see is that you must be careful not to lose the brass locking pin.  Or buy a spare.

Drill a hole through the head or on top and tether it to the miter gauge base. Use small gauge, stranded, coated wire or small gauge, plastic coated wire rope with closed end wire terminals for the attaching points.

BTW, nice review and thanks for the pictures and taking time post. Kreg continues to make specialty tools more affordable.

5 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Drill a hole through the head or on top and tether it to the miter gauge base. Use small gauge, stranded, coated wire or small gauge, plastic coated wire rope with closed end wire terminals for the attaching points.

I seriously thought about it, Dave.  Experience speaking?

Thanks for the review Ron.

5 hours ago, Dadio said:

Ron did you check to see how hard it is to get an accurate angle that is in between the pins ?

I assume the handle tightens to hold the angle in place, my question would be does the twisting of the handle cause it to move of the mark?

1 hour ago, Gene Howe said:

I've owned one for close to 15 years. Have never lost the pin. I used to check it with my miterset every so often. It was always dead on. So I quit checking. The only gripe I have with mine is that the stop is sloppy. 

The stop for the pin or the stop on the fence?

1 minute ago, DuckSoup said:

Thanks for the review Ron.

I assume the handle tightens to hold the angle in place, my question would be does the twisting of the handle cause it to move of the mark?

Doesn’t seem to.  There’s a nylon washer there so there’s little friction.

8 hours ago, Ron Dudelston said:

The only potential negative that I can see is that you must be careful not to lose the brass locking pin.

Another idea for you.  Get some round magnets.  Epoxy one to the top of the brass pin, and the other somewhere on the miter itself since it is aluminum.  

1 minute ago, Ron Dudelston said:

Sounds like the nylon bushings are worn.

It's been sloppy since day one. It's one of their very first ones. I'll have to look but, I don't think it has bushings. It's no biggie. I seldom do repetitive cuts with it. When I do, it's easy to compensate. And, I don't ever use the scale.