Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
kmealy

tales from the furniture repair guy

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Warped & Twisted said:

Them Chinese are pretty darn smart. They get paid to deposit junk in our landfill.

The problem is they're not getting their junk back.

They announced last night on the local news, that, my city is curtailing their recycling program. Apparently, it was the Chinese that were buying our garbage (recycling). They have stopped and it is now costing the city more to dispose of the recycling. Before they were selling it to the Chinese, and were making a profit. Now, although they still collect it separately, it now goes to the same landfill. They will no longer collect separately.

I loved the idiots that they interviewed on the news. Obviously, Greenies who don't have a clue about macro or micro economics. One guy stated, that, he put a "lot of effort" in to separating his recycling and the city should find a use for it. I really hope he doesn't have a job that includes any type of physical labor! Hmmmm! There are two containers, which do I throw this can into...garbage or recycling? How about the drama when the news reporter in the field, holding a Styrofoam food container, hovers it above a recycling bin, and, says, "...where are we going to put this now"?

Well, DUH, in the garbage can, you clueless, non-thinking ditz! :BugEyeSmiley:  Where do they get these people?

That is going to put some people out of work at the recycling center. In the Big city near me they have a garbage police that goes around digging through your garbage trying to find recyclable trash in the garbage that they can write you a ticket for. Also food waste and yard waste are not to be put in the garbage, they go  to a composting center.

Herb

They want the material, but not the polluting coatings.  I read somewhere that they're buying US recycling plants so that they can clean the base material before shipping it home.  Recycling our waste has become part of their process, and this may  be more of a "tweaking" of the feed stock. 

1 hour ago, HandyDan said:

I think China is going to fish the plastic out of their rivers as needed.

May as well leave it there..... it's no good for anything anyway!

You may remember, some years back there was a public outcry in the Western world about lead in Chinese plastic products, and kids getting lead poisoning from chewing on toys, blinds, all sorts of things. This led to China promising to clean up their act. So while their plastics may well BE lead-free, it now has a drastically shortened life span. Some of that crap starts to break down the minute you open the box...... maybe even in transit! :(

John

All let's focus on the wood.  I see the repair we done successfully and properly by laminating good wood over the broken knot which was glued back together.  As al alternate I would have cut out the know scabbed in good wood glued it then added the other peice.  Let's see if the repair lasts.

Great job!

56 minutes ago, kmealy said:

Yes, I'm hoping it holds too.  Additional issues were working on site, fixed-price repair job, and all the springs were attached to the top of the piece. meaning they'd need to be undone and reattached via new spring clips.   Nice piece of red oak, glued and attached with 8  2.25" screws

On 1/10/2019 at 2:10 PM, Dadio said:

In the Big city near me they have a garbage police that goes around digging through your garbage trying to find recyclable trash in the garbage that they can write you a ticket for.

They would NOT enjoy that task if I had to deal with them....  I can think of lots of fun stuff to "add" to the mix.  Starting with the kitty litter my wife's cats keep a steady stream for me to dispose of.:JawDrop: