Wednesday's Wisdom For Woodturners January 9, 2019

lew

@Steve Krumanaker Thank You! I've been trying to use you advice about continuous curved sides.

@Gerald Thanks! I'm really liking the Wonder Weave sanding products.

@HandyDan Thank You! 

@DuckSoup Thanks! I don't know if the color will fade over time.

@Jim from Easy Wood Tools Thank You! Hope you get the chance to turn some of the flame box elder sometime!

lew said, "I found that I need to make/buy better sanding devices for the inside of bowls. I have a 3" pad-"

Perhaps, I totally misunderstand, but this is what popped into my mind when I read your statement.  

I can't find what I typed.  Anyway, when I read that you need to replace your tool, this is what I thought you were talking about.  I'll find the kit on another site and paste it in a separate post.  

@FlGatorwood I have made one of those and bought the bearing and sleeve from Capt Eddie. Sometimes these are referred to as inertia sanders.

I have a 3" pad from Woodcraft  I use with the handle and it works absolutely great on the outside of a bowl. I just made a new 2" pad for the inside of a bowl so it gets into the transition from side to bottom. It doesn't work as well as I had hoped. I guess I'll have to go back to my shop made sanding ball for that area. The sanding ball is used with an electric drill.

The inertia sander is really easy to use once you get the hang of the correct angle to present it to the spinning turning.

Ouch.  It does not have a power cord but who could afford one at this price.  :PullingHair:

https://www.amazon.com/King-Arthurs-Tools-Guinevere-Sanding/dp/B0032OX4R2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1547430478&sr=8-5&keywords=sanding+ball+for+drill

And, since I don't do bowls (as I don't have a bowl gouge of any kind or size) I wonder if this is durable enough to purchase.  

https://www.amazon.com/Abrasive-Woven-Scotch-Polishing-Sanding/dp/B006U93BOC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1547430478&sr=8-7&keywords=sanding+ball+for+drill

But, I think this is what you are talking about.  I don't know much about this, but I have learned much.  Thanks for posting this, Lew.  You made me research.  

https://www.amazon.com/Inflatable-Bowl-Sander/dp/B001E4G65E/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1547430478&sr=8-9&keywords=sanding+ball+for+drill