kmealy

Pretty cool Keith to revisit what has become a dying art of craftsman...that was some very hard work even for the day.

I noticed the guy running the table was still wearing a tie under his overalls; liked the "big" joiner:P too.

Thanks for the post. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Well worth watching.

Edited by Grandpadave52

1 minute ago, Stick486 said:

it's not here anymore..

it tries to load and ghosts out...

I thought it was just me. I looked at the post at O'dark thirty and Dan was the only reply. There was nothing there. When I refreshed the site an outline of the embedded video flash up and then disappeared. I thought it was just my computer.

Works for me! Thanks, Keith. Had to show this to my wife... her great- and great-great-grandfathers were coopers. They made barrels for the potash industry 'way back when. Probably a bit different ("dry" as opposed to "wet" coopering), but very interesting just the same. Thanks.

John

12 hours ago, Cal said:

Wow, that looks like some hard labor right there.  I wonder who did the sharpening of these tools?  Each guy responsible for his own, or maybe a whole other part of the barrel factory with a team devoted to it?

First thought I had when I saw the video (well other than how much I like Guinness LOL). There had to be a team or at least a section of the factory devoted to sharpness. Oak, right?

13 hours ago, HARO50 said:

It occurred to me that this would be the perfect occupation for @Gene Howe! No measuring, only a compass to fit the lid! :D

John

It's precise measuring.  If you walk the dividers around and end up at the same stop after six steps you have exactly the radius of the circle.

image.png.0eb7db968114b6e86c2f5edfb1e69500.png