Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Larry Buskirk

More Repurposing and Junk (PC Desk/Cabinet)

Rate this topic

Not really a progress report, but then again maybe so.

I started checking out the old Oak toilet tank topper that I'll be salvaging the wood from, and it needs a bit more work than I anticipated.

It's another of those found along the highway gets, and it had been found after it probably spent a couple of days out in the rain when I found it.

I wasn't to concerned about the pressboard parts of the cabinet, but the solid Oak parts had also suffered some damage from getting rather soaked.

So for now I'm in the process of regluing some of the seams in the side and top panels which is pretty much all I'll be reusing of this cabinet.

I'm not sure if I ever had the original doors, but I'll be using the door from the "White Clad" cart that I started repairing earlier in this part of the build anyway.

So while those parts are sitting in clamps, etc. I decided to get busy with the "Brasso" on the hardware I'll be using.

I may end up owning stock in the "Brasso" Co. by the time I get all of the hardware done.

I started with the following two items, which I'm sure some of you will really like. ;)

I found these a few years ago at an Antique Store a couple miles down the road from me, and can't remember if I paid $5.00, or $10.00 each for them.

They were in a booth that the seller had decided to give up, and had a 50% off sign for everything in his/her booth.

They were both Black as cast iron, and marked as such. This is them after a bit of cleaning up.

I first scrubbed them down with a scrub brush and Dawn dish soap before starting with the "Brasso". 

The one on the left is after the scrubbing, the right one is about half done with the "Brasso"

So without further ado, I'll "Bring on the Brass" 

367172778_BrassEastlakeBrackets.PNG.974bdf2738a87b4d6e9e07cb03e71c95.PNG

My neighbor with the Antique Mall is bringing a couple boxes of "Stuff" he has stashed over the years for me to check through to see what other "Goodies" besides those I have stashed over the years to add to the build. I'm still looking for a couple of boxes of "Gas Lamp" parts that I can't remember where I stashed. :WonderScratch: I'll find them yet!!:PullingHair:

That's all for now.

Until later. :TwoThumbsUp:

49 minutes ago, Larry Buskirk said:

I started with the following two items, which I'm sure some of you will really like.

Well you had me at the "Brasso..." ;)

Those are just way cool...you're gonna' have to find a straw hat to wear just to use this old. new 20's 'puter.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to what these will become? :ChinScratch:

661775223_MoreBrass.PNG.dac4d05ffe65dd42072d7487737ab5ed.PNG

Not a clue, but I like them...A LOT!

40 minutes ago, lew said:

Not sure what you will use them for but I think they would look awesome holding LEDs to indicate HDD activity 

Lew, 

Nice guess, but I already have a HDD activity indicator. ;)

23 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Not a clue, but I like them...A LOT!

Dave,

I got those parts from my neighbor the other day, they were in his brass to be scrapped!! :huh:

You know I just couldn't let that happen! :(

Ok guys, I'll let you know what these will become.

What's a "Radio" without speakers? :DevilLaughing:

40 minutes ago, Larry Buskirk said:

Ok guys, I'll let you know what these will become.

Thanks...I promise not to tell anyone...;)

40 minutes ago, Larry Buskirk said:

What's a "Radio" without speakers? 

Kwool!! You know they do may lighted speakers don't you?

On 1/11/2019 at 6:45 PM, lew said:

Too bad you don't have one of these-

imageproxy.php?img=&key=3c03e03cfca50bb9294364368_audiophonehornspeakerside2.jpg.8c3ff545488ff9155d858ee9e86bcc37.jpgimageproxy.php?img=&key=3c03e03cfca50bb9imageproxy.php?img=&key=3c03e03cfca50bb9

Lew, I know where I could get a pair similar to those but the price would be more than I'm tying up in this whole build. They're a bit big for this build, but one never knows what the future holds.

On 1/11/2019 at 6:45 PM, Grandpadave52 said:

Thanks...I promise not to tell anyone...;)

Kwool!! You know they do may lighted speakers don't you?

Yes I know they make lighted speakers Dave, but I'll have plenty of lights by the time I'm done. I'm accumulating a pretty good supply of Brass for added "Bling" Some of it will house quite a few LED's by the time I'm done.

On 1/11/2019 at 9:26 PM, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Exactly!!  Took a page from your book and went with a hammered finish for the electrical conduit and box.  Grey plastic wasn't going to be classy enough!

IMG_0744.JPG.deb60f740e60ca4b546ad1ca2cca1d64.JPG

Thanks Curtis, Hammered paints can really dress up an otherwise drab looking item. I don't throw out anything until the job is done myself, as you will see shortly.

Weekend progress report.

As I stated above I don't throw out anything until the job is done. Here's a case in point.

Remember the front edge I cut off of the "Ice Box" because of the broken out chunk?

I used the piece to fill in the front edge along the sides of the keyboard/trackball tray. The right side was simply glued back into place, and I used some of the good edge to make a piece for the left side which only required sanding to match the rounded side edge.

1006034684_FrontEdge.PNG.586932aea5a9936dc831624f012a6aec.PNG

Then I went to work on the upper hutch section of the Desk/Cabinet. First I lined up the side panels by inserting cleats into the shelf dados to see if the side panels were match fitted. They weren't. :(  One side was almost 3/16" wider than the other, and the curves didn't match either. :angry: :PullingHair:

1685802079_HutchSidesUnmatched.PNG.19a6e2ac832f2a068a7f0047df6fc042.PNG

235369781_SideCurveunmatched.PNG.8659694048b7e48e592c0bcccf26b6c6.PNG

So I planed the front edges to match, and then hand sanded the curves to also match.

It took me most of yesterday, and part of today to get it good enough for me, but then I'm picky. 

894473993_SideCurvesmatched.PNG.fc9809f25cd96bcd12a4864e1475f3d9.PNG

By the way, the toilet tank topper is now upside down, and mostly inside out from it's original configuration.

The top shelf is turned backwards from it's original position also. ;)

I just got it fit together a little while ago, as a matter of fact the side clamps are still on as the glue dries.

Here's the pile of parts that made up the hutch framework.

The monitor shelf is made from a piece of 1/4" X 5 1/2" piece of solid Oak, and two pieces of 1/2" X 1 1/2" Oak strips, and one piece of 1/4" X 1 1/8" Oak lattice.

1242915833_HutchMainFrame.PNG.578f6e8d982f64893bb234d259a3a7ca.PNG

Here's a rear view with the monitor in place.

2090695430_HutchRear.PNG.e750d0f59e3fcabb646b1069988406f5.PNG

I'll be building a back panel chase behind the PC going up to the monitor shelf.

Here's a front view of the hutch with the monitor in place. It's still a bit higher then I would have liked, but livable.

It's just above a straight ahead view from sitting on the couch.

1025176070_HutchFront.PNG.b7f4bb10da539242c428c97b17827bc9.PNG

And a view of the top.

429982913_HutchTop.PNG.a87c8e0cf9b06c074ab5bc71586f2619.PNG

Well that's about all I got done for the weekend.

(Other than finding more Brass to polish :Laughing:)

Until next time. :TwoThumbsUp:

Edited by Larry Buskirk

All is very cool but I'm really loving that radio tuner dial with the green backlight...awesome.

Todays progress report.

Today I worked on closing up the front part of the rear chase (Behind the PC case) 

These are made from 1/2" X 5 1/2" panels of Oak.

Here is a view of the rear of the PC as it fits into the Desk/Cabinet.

1511828436_FrontChasePanels.PNG.e18189d4f6561c5b5b58fcca30b51a5b.PNG

I still have to fill in across the top, and do some sanding on the side panels, but as you can see I'll have a wiring chase that will hide the behind the PC, monitor, etc.. 

There will then be a 1/4" oak veneered plywood back that will cover the rear of the Desk/Cabinet.

That's about it for today.

Until tomorrow. :TwoThumbsUp:

For a lack of adjectives on my part...very cool. Brackets are perfect.

14 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Brackets are perfect.

I agree a very nice classy touch!!