More Repurposing and Junk (PC Desk/Cabinet)

11 hours ago, Stick486 said:

ya done yet???

Ya Right! :Laughing:

10 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Rome was not built in a day.

:Laughing::JawDrop:

Thanks Curtis,

This might not be Rome, but I'm working as fast as my Band-Aided fingers will allow me to. :(

They are so dried out from sanding that "Working Hands" can't keep them from cracking, and bleeding.

13 hours ago, Larry Buskirk said:

This might not be Rome, but I'm working as fast as my Band-Aided fingers will allow me to. 

I work off the I have all the time I care to take attitude.  My wife only sees the shop as the place where the magic happens.  After that nobody else to worry about.  :TwoThumbsUp:

12 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

New stuff is put together with some glue.  Looks like hot melt, acts like it when I heated it up and took it apart for the neighbor.  Cabinet was too big, so we took apart and fixed that small problem.  I used SCREWS to put it back together.:JawDrop:

These are put together with some type of carpenters glue, and 1/4" crown staples.

It doesn't dissolve like Elmer's, or Titebond II will with water. you have to basically scrape it loose.

A lot of plywood with real wood for trim.

On 1/6/2019 at 8:04 PM, Larry Buskirk said:

but I like the basic style of them.

I do too...already a good start headed to the look you want.

3 hours ago, Larry Buskirk said:

I tried both Mineral Spirits, and Oxy-Clean to remove the oil stains from the cabinet top without much success.

Try some Peroxide mixed with Simple Green or LA's Finest. I have used Brake Kleen before on some tools, but not furniture. Might give Acetone a try.

Larry, you are the King of salvage, re-claim, re-purpose re-use...:Praise: I'm liking where this is going!

13 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Rain aside you got a lot done.

Thanks Curtis,

I did a lot of sanding, searching for more parts, etc. while doing what I did get accomplished.

11 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

I do too...already a good start headed to the look you want.

Try some Peroxide mixed with Simple Green or LA's Finest. I have used Brake Kleen before on some tools, but not furniture. Might give Acetone a try.

Larry, you are the King of salvage, re-claim, re-purpose re-use...:Praise: I'm liking where this is going!

Thanks Dave,

I forgot to mention the peroxide, charcoal lighter fluid, and a couple of other things that I tried. The peroxide did a good job of raising the grain, but didn't touch the oil stain. 

I'm now in the process of adding a keyboard tray that will cover it. This will also give me a way of mounting the upper hutch part of the Desk/Cabinet.

11 hours ago, lew said:

Looks like the cat was lending a hand 

Lew,

The cats are always trying to lend a hand. One tries to swipe my tools, parts etc., while another figures I put the items there for a sleeping spot.

9 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Quality Control Inspector.  My wife has many to check my work.

One inspects the inside of it's eyelids, while another tries stealing/playing with everything else.

Now for an unforeseen problem that has occurred from working from my working without any plans, and just fitting things together as I've been finding them.

The problem will likely result in me not using the lid on the PC part of the build, but instead just going with the beveled glass window for the top of the case.

If I use the lid, I will have to mount the monitor roughly 4" higher than I would if I don't use the lid.

This would put the monitor in a position that I would have to be looking up more than I prefer.

Doing without the lid would also allow me to use the lighting circuit for a keyboard light. 

Partial progress report for today.

This is part of the pile of parts that will become the upper hutch section of the Desk/Cabinet.

It consists of what's left from one of those Oak toilet tank topper cabinets.

1172017602_HutchParts1.PNG.2ae9b3a4ffc300811cad54d8bfaee34a.PNG

I'll be cutting it down some both width, and height wise to better fit the lower "Ice Box" cabinet, and to keep the monitor at a reasonable height.

Here's a photo of what will be the hutch sides.

496772366_HutchParts2.PNG.43d7b548c75af564ae0751f39104f357.PNG

I've also been working on the pull out keyboard/trackball tray. I've got the slides mounted, and the mounting cleats attached.

The slides came from a cheap pressboard computer desk that was literally falling apart.

1416003199_Keyboardtray1.PNG.5f952a2c944a6a4bbd9044dbc1c77dde.PNG

Here's a view of the tray in the pulled out position.

234647420_Keyboardtray2.PNG.55ac2839224cb49be0b63d34188427be.PNG

I'll be mounting another Oak shelf over this assembly, and then mounting the works to the cabinet top. The shelf I'll be using is just the right width to allow the hutch to sit on the "Ice Box" top, and allow mounting the hutch to the sides of the raised keyboard shelfs edge with brass screws.

Oil stain problem eliminated! ;)

I'll be posting more later, so until then. :TwoThumbsUp:

Any bad day doing something fun like this is still better than the best day at work.:P

Looking good...

3 minutes ago, Larry Buskirk said:

So I'm hoping for better outdoor working weather for tomorrow so I can get more accomplished.

Good luck with that...high maybe of mid 20's here if our sacrifice is accepted.:wacko: