Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
MaDeuce

making my own blueprint...

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

MaDeuce -
Stick486 -

Top Posters

2 hours ago, p_toad said:

If you have any left after batting everyone with them.  :throbbinghead:

How do you make the laughing icon? Those are cool!

Never mind, I found it. :OldManSmiley:

hat

Edited by hatuffej

Most of my plans are drawn freehand on legal paper. Good enough for me to work off, but likely useless to others. 

If im doing a large piece, like our bed, and I want to check proportions, then I’ll get the drafting table out and draw it out to scale. 

And lastly, only cut pieces when you need them. Stuff happens, mistakes get made. Do larger pieces first. 

On 1/7/2019 at 8:57 PM, MaDeuce said:

So... yea. I think I'll leave cabinet/shelves until I have a little more practice... didn't turn out very good.

Experience is a wonderful thing, it lets you recognize a mistake when you make it again.

+1 on the others advice, be patient you'll get there.

following up some more.

i first learned about proper drafting in Jr. HS shop class.  scale, front, top, end views, orthogonal views, hidden lines, dimensioning, all that good stuff (lettering too).

got another dose of that in freshman year of college as part of one of my engineering courses, and another dose a year or so later as part of a kinematics course (graphical solutions).

so i have all the needed tools and enough knowledge to be dangerous.

so, yes, i could draw out a set of plans that someone else could work off of to make something.  but drafting to such detail is a lot of work.  i've been asked before, after showing something i've made for our house, "hey, do you have plans for that design?"  well....yes, and no.  i could do it again from the notes i created the first time around, but if i just photocopied those same notes, you could not make sense of them.  now, if you want to pay me to properly draft up a set of plans, we can talk.  but the thing is, those plans would only produce the project exactly like i drew it.  if you wanted to modify the project in some aspect (maybe make the coffee table 12" longer), you would have to know enough about how all the parts relate and which ones would need to be changed in dimension.  and at that point, you are basically drawing your own plans, so why have me make something you could not use?

one of the needed skills for a competent woodworker is being able to think backwards.  you see a picture of a project, lets say a coffee table or end table.  well, what size do you want yours to be?  height, depth, width.  start there and work backwards. 

i've built projects with no drawings.  my workbenches are 36x96.  any deeper would be too deep.  so i wanted the plywood to have a 1-1/2" overhang from the underlying 2x4.  that determines how long the 2x4s are.  and so on....

3 hours ago, MaDeuce said:

Between my husband and 3 kids... we never have any left over LOL

...of course you never, ever are guilty of getting involved, are you?  :throbbinghead:

3 hours ago, schnewj said:

...of course you never, ever are guilty of getting involved, are you?  :throbbinghead:

:CoveringEyes: Nope... not ever. I'm innocent.

Stop laughing!