Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

16 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

@Artie, thanks for the compliment but, I can't come close to Paul's skills. Must be something about that Canadian air.

As to going metric, it wouldn't matter. I can't read a ruler, anyway. :(

Maybe you're using the wrong ruler...try one of these

1215723269_lefty_rightytape.jpg.863288a9d0c3bdeb1cc16fb7eca155a1.jpg

Since this is kinda, sorta, maybe a defacto Shopsmith thread, hey Gene are you aiding and/or abetting at the Shopsmith demonstration in Mesa today?

On 1/2/2019 at 7:59 PM, HARO50 said:

... I have NEVER built anything using this new-fangled system! It just seems easier to stick with what you know.

John

The metric system was first proposed in 1791. It was adopted by the French revolutionary assembly in 1795, and the first metric standards (a standard meter bar and kilogram bar) were adopted in 1799.  Gabriel Mouton, the vicar of St. Paul's Church in Lyons, France, is the “founding father” of the metric system. He proposed a decimal system of measurement in 1670.

British Imperial System, traditional system of weights and measures used officially in Great Britain from 1824 until the adoption of the metric system beginning in 1965. The United States Customary System of weights and measures is derived from it. British Imperial units are now legally defined in metric terms.  Before that, the measurements varied quite a bit from place to place. complicating trade.   Some references say that foot is the length of average man's foot,  Of course, that could vary and in today's US sizes, it's now a size 14  -- hardly "average."

So metric is about 130 years older than inches and feet!

Artie, nice shop and machine.  I wish I could have a 520, but if folks worked on the small table for 30 years I can learn. However, if I have a long piece of wood to cut, I put it on the ground with sticks underneath and use a guide to cut my board.  Now, for smaller stuff, (under 3 feet), I will use the SS.  It will do more than I can.  LOL  

Thanks, Gene for initiating this thread.  I like to see products made mainly on a SS.  

Grandpa, your post deserved more than one emoji!  I’m having fun, I’m learning (who woulda thunk?). Some days this is the only online site I go to. Gene’s got no idea how happy I am that he brung me here (course he may now feel regret LOL)

13 hours ago, schnewj said:

Artie, Artie, Artie...your shop is WAY too clean. You need to clutter it up and get sawdust in every nook and crannie.

OK, OK, I admit I'm jealous of your neatness and organization. NICE shop and really nice setup on the SS

All right, next time I’m working in the shop I will take pictures of it when it’s dirty/sawdusty. It does get that way, I just don’t like to bring the iPad down there when it’s like that. I have to do a meticulous clean up or all laundry duty will become mine, plus maybe some other chores I no want. If I was tech savvy I would cut and paste that woman with the red laser deathstare, right here LOL

12 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

To paraphrase my wife, A clean shop is the sign of a sick mind. :D

I would probably have to admit to that :) .

52 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

It 'ain't a race or who has the newest, biggest, bestest stuff, shop or knows the least or most, but it's about the whole journey

100% agree.  I enjoy shop time no matter how difficult the task, or how long something takes me.  Sometimes years......

5 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

or how long something takes me.  Sometimes years......

you good w/ decades???