I need some help, guys. With the passing of my mother earlier this year I, now, have total dominion over the garage space. This allowed me to do a little remodeling, rearranging, and creation of some much needed storage off of the floor. This created a lot of open usable floor space. So, I have moved my Delta 40-690 20" (DeWalt 788) from its home in the garden shed into the garage space to live with my other tools.

Now, for the help. The saw was purchased second hand. I acquired it from a retired vet, who was selling everything and moving to Panama. He used it to scroll out service branch plaques. It is in excellent shape but I have no maintenance history on it. Although I have used it a lot, it needs some TLC and it could use a PM on the internals.

There is an excellent tutorial on R&R of the bearing, bushing and lubrication of the essential points, that was published in 2014 by Gwinette Woodworkers. In the four part video there was a reference to a bushing parts list and associated bearing numbers. However, the published link for the information no longer exists. The bushing are no problem and were all ordered yesterday. However, the bearings are different story. They aren't listed in the parts breakdowns and since the Gwinette list no longer exists I have no means of ID ing the bearings short of tearing apart the saw.

I don't what to do that until I have the parts on hand. Experience dictates, that, I don't leave pieces and parts lying around waiting for replacement parts...use your imagination on that...

So, by any chance, do any of you have experience or bearing numbers? If I can ID the bearings I'll just go order them...I'd rather have and not need, than need and not have.

Bill

45 minutes ago, Harry Brink said:

Do an on-line search for dewalt 788 parts and manuals. My search shows lots of parts suppliers.

Hope this helps.

Oh, you may want to take a picture as you pull it apart to help remember what went where. :unsure:

The parts list is not the problem. I have a parts break down. However, they do not list bearings or their numbers. Pictures are SOP.

42 minutes ago, John Morris said:

@Larry Buskirk is a master at bearing id and locations and vendors, perhaps he'll surface and chime in.

Thanks, John, if Larry doesn't weight in I will PM him.

Bill

Bill, chances are the bearings are metric.  Measure The I’d, do and width and match them that way.  Depending on the style and manufacturer, the suffix will vary.  For example, a 305kdd is a shielded bearing but not sealed.  The suffix zzz many times will indicate a sealed bearing.  Somewhere around here I have a bearing book from Bearings Inc.  send me the sizes and even a pic and Ill match it for you.

3 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Bill, are you talking about the bearings which are part of the con-rod # 286280-00? Looks like there might be a ball bearing on one end and a needle bearing on the other??

From the parts listing, I didn't see any other use of bearings not listed as stand alone?

image.png.2215e9c89c0f92872c6487a5113360d8.png

Yup! There are a couple of the rods that use needle bearings and bushings. Apparently, they want you to buy the whole rod(s). Bearings are a lot cheaper and not difficult to change. The bushings you can get, but they WILL NOT sell just the bearings.

The problem is, I would have to tear the saw down, get the numbers off of the bearings, then cross reference them, and order the correct bearings. I would rather get ahead and have them onboard when I do the tear down. Even if they don't need replaced I would have them.

I was just hoping that someone here had been down the road and had the bearing numbers documented.

4 minutes ago, schnewj said:

Apparently, they want you to buy the whole rod(s). Bearings are a lot cheaper and not difficult to change. The bushings you can get, but they WILL NOT sell just the bearings.

That's what I saw...rods with the bearings installed only...makes no sense except $$'s...I did several searches as I'm sure you have but to no avail attempting to get bearing #'s or specs.

Sorry I couldn't help more. That said, odds are your bearings are OK...likely USA bearings; replacements today are probably off-shore.

3 hours ago, Ron Dudelston said:

Bill, chances are the bearings are metric.  Measure The I’d, do and width and match them that way.  Depending on the style and manufacturer, the suffix will vary.  For example, a 305kdd is a shielded bearing but not sealed.  The suffix zzz many times will indicate a sealed bearing.  Somewhere around here I have a bearing book from Bearings Inc.  send me the sizes and even a pic and Ill match it for you.

Thanks, Ron, but I already have the info to do this. I would probably use VXB as a provider for quality replacements.

3 hours ago, Ron Dudelston said:

...again, bushings but no bearings, and they are a lot more expensive then some other suppliers. I do use them for most of my small engine parts, but they are not always the cheapest supplier.

19 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

That's what I saw...rods with the bearings installed only...makes no sense except $$'s...I did several searches as I'm sure you have but to no avail attempting to get bearing #'s or specs.

Sorry I couldn't help more. That said, odds are your bearings are OK...likely USA bearings; replacements today are probably off-shore.

Exactly, someone out there knows what the bearing numbers are, I just have to find that person. Chances are they don't even need replaced, but if they were never lubricated they may have started to toast. I am getting some vibration but it may just be normal and I may be perceiving more than what is really there.

Anyway, if they do need replaced I'll cross reference either quality made American made or Japanese made bearings. That should last my lifetime.

I do appreciate the help, guys.

Hey Bill, in just about every town of any size there is a place that sells bearings. Take your bearings there and they will match them up. You will get better bearings at a cheaper price than getting them from DW. If it was mine I would replace all the bearings. For one thing, they used cheap bearings and cheap grease and very little of it.

Bill,

Here if information on bearings for your 40-690.  The Kit numbers were listed in the Video you mentioned.  
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD...
per saw content is:
Kit8616 (HK0609 Needle Bearing 6x10x9) 12
Kit7492 (HK0810 Needle Bearing 8x12x10) 2
Kit7189 (HK1412 Needle Bearing 14x20x12) 2

The HK numbers are the standard numbers that will help you get them from local sources.

Sleeves that go inside bearings are sourced from: http://servicenet.dewalt.com/
286294-00 short sleeve
286295-00 long sleeve
286430-00 drive link sleeve
286292-00 pivot rod

Hope this helps.  I will be getting bearings from my 60-490 shortly.

Larry

@lew @Larry Buskirk

Wow, you guys really came through for me! Thanks, lew and Larry. I have my bushings ordered, now I can order my bearings. I may not even need them, but, again, better to have and not need...

2 hours ago, Just Larry said:

Bill,

Here if information on bearings for your 40-690.  The Kit numbers were listed in the Video you mentioned.  
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD...
per saw content is:
Kit8616 (HK0609 Needle Bearing 6x10x9) 12
Kit7492 (HK0810 Needle Bearing 8x12x10) 2
Kit7189 (HK1412 Needle Bearing 14x20x12) 2

The HK numbers are the standard numbers that will help you get them from local sources.

Sleeves that go inside bearings are sourced from: http://servicenet.dewalt.com/
286294-00 short sleeve
286295-00 long sleeve
286430-00 drive link sleeve
286292-00 pivot rod

Hope this helps.  I will be getting bearings from my 60-490 shortly.

Larry

Hope that's a typo...40-690????

I may see what is available locally, if not I'll just order from VXB. Once I source all of the parts I can take a few hours and tear it down and do a good PM.

9 hours ago, schnewj said:

@lew @Larry Buskirk

Hope that's a typo...40-690????

That is a typo. Fingers got mixed up.  I've had my 40-690 for nearly six years.  Has been used hard.  Did grease front bearings two years ago.  Made a great difference. 

Larry Davis (Just Larry on SSV.  I have some comments in the links Lew posted.)

You confused me to start with. Delta and Dewalt might look alike and all the parts are close to being the same but I believe I would tear it down carefully and lay all the things out in order and check all the bearings. They might have copied the 788 exactly except for just the bearings and they might have changed them just a bit ?? I bought my 788 in the first part of 2000 and it is a type 1 then they went to type 2 some years later by changing where they were made.. Did they up date any parts in that process??  I will say getting in to the 788 and then putting it back together is no walk in the park thing....I have greased everything that moved each time but you better have a large very clean area to do all this...And I didn't see anything that needed to be replaced except where the blades are attached. Sometimes a person tightens down too much and sort of crushes the swivel  end where the little o ring stays and this is the only thing I would replace but for some reason they are not available from Dewalt. Also most of the extra fast movement of the parts are exposed so some lube there always helps..then you gotta watch out for drops of oil ruining some nice looking wood you just spent days cutting out.

My dewalt gets used more than any three of the other machines I have so yes it might should be checked more often..  And what Dave has a picture of the rod with the bearings being pressed in that rod I think should be bought as a unit and not try to pry them out and press new ones back in. 

Bill, I think if I were in your position right now and like I said, not hardly any scroll machines are used like the people had planned to go on and take my advise and chance it....

Edited by Smallpatch