Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Gerald

Christmas almost

Rate this topic

Like 'em all and the variety of colors. Well done.

nice..

very nice..

1 hour ago, HandyDan said:

Nice Gerald.  I like the saw blade drying racks too.

Good eye Dan.  I missed that the first time around.

Nice Gerald, like Tom I missed the drying racks too until I read Dan's reply, great idea.

Steve

Thanks guys. Had all these blades and decided had to do something with them.

We are so lucky to have 2 of Gerald's beautiful bells hanging on the EWT Christmas tree.   They are wonderful and delicate pieces of art

Awesome. Thanks Jim and @Gerald for giving back to EWT.

Gerald, what kind of wood and did you turn these?  Great work and coloring.  Looking forward to the rest of the process.  

Steve, in Pensacola, FL

These were from pew parts (poplar) that was left over from a project to raise money for the church from pews we replaced last year. The poplar does not turn as well as the bradford pear I did the rest with. I do not have pip pics, but is really simple. I found it easier to hollow first and sand inside. Then adapt the outside shape to the inside and gave a more stable piece to hollow. Then just shape the outside up to the button and sand outside. Burn in the lines and turn the button and part off.

For hollowing I use a spindle gouge and make the cuts similar to hollowing a bowl as a push cut from rim to bottom . But can also use a scraping cut which will  needing more sanding.

Those are beautiful. I dunno if I’ll ever attempt to use the lathe feature of the Shopsmith, but you are motivating me me to try.

On 12/14/2018 at 8:38 PM, Gerald said:

Thanks guys. Had all these blades and decided had to do something with them.

I knew I was saving those old blades for something. Your bells are just beautiful.

Edited by hawkeye10