Pot handle

Ron Altier

This is my wife's favorite cooking pot. It has got to be 75+ years old. She got it from her aunt many years ago. The handle has rotted away and she wants it replaced. Not a big deal, however I have some thoughts about the wood and type finish I should use. I should use hardwood for sure, I am concerned about the finish. Maybe an oil? varnish?  What would you use around heat and food?

fullsizeoutput_abd.jpeg

Behlen's salad bowl finish, if you want a hard finish.

From their website..."Behlen Salad Bowl Finish has been specially formulated to allow for the following statement. "This product contains FDA regulated ingredients complying with 21 CFR 175.300." and therefore achieves a non-toxic, safe for food contact (in its cured state) finish. Wooden bowls, wooden utensils, butcher blocks and recreational related objects (games, puzzles, pull toys) when finished with Salad Bowl Finish may be used in contact with foods." 

It doesn't affect the wood color. Don't know about UV, though.

Just had a thought. If you're going to turn it, maybe, CA?

Edited by Gene Howe

5 hours ago, DAB said:

looks like the threads let go.  are the pot threads still good?  looks like aluminum and steel.

could always heli-coil it with SS insert...the thread-loc for heli-coils is heat resistant

4 hours ago, Ron Altier said:

Pot threads are rusted but good.

Probably rust swarf from the handle threads...pan appears to be aluminum so the thread bore itself wouldn't rust, but as the handle bolt has deteriorated over the years it has left deposit build up from water seeping past the handle into the bore. I'd use a SS bolt in the new handle and either the Behlen finish Gene suggested or Marine Spar Varnish...my 02/100.