How to hold a small leg in the lathe?

hawkeye10

On 12/24/2018 at 11:11 PM, lew said:

I read your post in the “Bugs and Issues” forum. Maybe I misunderstood what you said but you indicated you were hitting Enter to add a picture. To add pictures, you should place the blinking cursor where you want the picture in your text and then click on the image you want to insert. The image needs to be uploaded prior to this process. 

I agree Lew, and that is what I did. Just then I pressed enter twice so I would a space between the text and the picture. It worked like it should this time.image.png.10620dabd579793ddc89a5d7d8487856.png 

3 hours ago, hawkeye10 said:

I agree Lew, and that is what I did. Just then I pressed enter twice so I would a space between the text and the picture. It worked like it should this time.image.png.10620dabd579793ddc89a5d7d8487856.png 

Not sure why it did that??? Hopefully it will continue to work correctly but if it doesn't, please let us know right away.

Looks like you have a nice array of drive centers and a really nice live center for the tail stock. I like those small faceplates. Mines about 6" diameter and that's just a little too big for most work- at least for me. I had the local Vo-Tech School welding kids make me a couple of shot tool rests. Makes working on shorter projects a lot easier.

36 minutes ago, hawkeye10 said:

Here are the legs. They aren't much, but they are a start.

WOW! If you made them without a duplicator you should be very proud of what you did! It isn't easy to get the same "freehand". 

Are those dovetails on the angled sides and back? That isn't an easy feat either. First one I did almost drove me nuts!!

9 hours ago, hawkeye10 said:

I may have found part of the problem you were having. I tried to use one of the images you posted and it wouldn't show up in the post I was creating. The name of the image was "imageproxy.php (1).jpeg" when I downloaded it. I wonder if the name was confusing the software. In effect it has 2 file extensions ".php" and ".jpeg". If you have trouble again, try changing the image to a .jpeg, .jpg or .png and see if that makes a difference.

2 hours ago, lew said:

WOW! If you made them without a duplicator you should be very proud of what you did! It isn't easy to get the same "freehand". 

Are those dovetails on the angled sides and back? That isn't an easy feat either. First one I did almost drove me nuts!!

No, Lew, they are box joints.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem was holding a small piece between centers to turn down.

I have used another method for MUCH smaller pieces making Christmas tree ornaments.. I find true centers on both ends, using the lathe. I then drill a hole with the lathe ( size dependent on dia of work piece) and glue in a hardwood dowel. Now I have a safe, sturdy and centred piece to turn. If the dowell is quarter in dia or less, caution must be used by taking light cuts. After turning I cut off the dowel.