Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! December 10, 2018

John Morris

John, you always come up with very cool pictures to accompany your Monday morning welcome.  I always enjoy them.

Halfway through the month, I hope the Wounded Warrior raffle kicks up a notch.

Your wiki linki no worki... at least on my end.  Likely some of my settings, but there were no bold text areas, nor any additional info as I "cursored" over the area in slo-mo.

My weekend was spent under the Pontiac.  After removing the bellhousing and clutch, it was pretty evident that the pilot bearing had tanked:(

IMG_2545.jpg.c6543addb319a4c76869903307d44928.jpg

So, did the pilot bearing fail first causing a lot of wear in the transmission; or had worn transmission parts cause the bearing failure?  I do not know, and I am reluctant to put another ball bearing back in there.  What you see in the pic was a job to get out.  The center part and ball bearings dropped out, after struggling for hours in a failed attempt to get the outer casing of the bearing out - I resorted to a dremel and had to cut it out.  Hopefully I can find a machine shop to resurface the flywheel today.

So, I can see that I will spend a bit more time this week on this project.  Hopefully the transmission will be ready by Wednesday.

The utility marking company has already been here this morning - that means the grading work in the back yard might get underway later this week or next!  I can see a lot of work coming up over the next couple weeks...

29 minutes ago, Cal said:

after struggling for hours in a failed attempt to get the outer casing of the bearing out - I resorted to a dremel and had to cut it out.

Hitting the race in a few spots with the mig welder shrinks it making it easier to remove.  I have cut them out with the rotary tool too.

It's going to be a hectic week here. The 18-year old oil furnace is being replaced by a propane one on Thursday. Three separate crews, one to place the new propane tanks, another to cut the oil tank in half and remove it (AFTER pumping it out), and the third crew to actually remove/replace the furnace and hook everything up! I have to finish cleaning out the utility area, as well as around the walk-out basement door, to give them plenty of room to maneuver around, then replace everything once they're done. Keeping my fingers crossed! :BitingNails:

John

1 hour ago, HARO50 said:

It's going to be a hectic week here. The 18-year old oil furnace is being replaced by a propane one on Thursday. Three separate crews, one to place the new propane tanks, another to cut the oil tank in half and remove it (AFTER pumping it out), and the third crew to actually remove/replace the furnace and hook everything up! I have to finish cleaning out the utility area, as well as around the walk-out basement door, to give them plenty of room to maneuver around, then replace everything once they're done. Keeping my fingers crossed! :BitingNails:

John

Good luck, John. Hope it all goes smoothly and you're not without heat for long.

As you might expect I'm working on earthquake clean up.  The house is pretty much in order and I'm 1/2 way done in the shop. Haven't even ventured into the shed yet.  The shed may not be done until spring. No heat in the shed and its just storage of mostly "stuff" I don't need to get to.

On a side note because I don't know where to put this.

My email notifications are not working. I believe I've checked of all the boxes but I still get nothing. 

6 hours ago, Cal said:

The center part and ball bearings dropped out,

Losing your bearing huh? Hate it when that happens.:Laughing:

6 hours ago, Cal said:

So, did the pilot bearing fail first causing a lot of wear in the transmission; or had worn transmission parts cause the bearing failure?

Likely the pilot bearing failed first unless the input shaft bushing/bearing started to fail. Hope the input shaft pilot OD did not get undercut???

6 hours ago, Cal said:

Hopefully I can find a machine shop to resurface the flywheel today.

That's become more & more difficult around here, at least local. Used to be four Automotive Machine shops in our county that could do this kind of work. I know at least 3 are gone and maybe the forth.

14 minutes ago, Warped & Twisted said:

On a side note because I don't know where to put this.

My email notifications are not working. I believe I've checked of all the boxes but I still get nothing. 

@John Morris...know you're busy, but Richard needs some assistance when you get the chance.