waiting on scroll saw blades

Smallpatch

Need to make a few of these by you know when....1695305602_Austinschoollogo.jpg.0a163617a44f7a0971186a675b78f5d7.jpgI" thick maple is way too think for these small skinny letters..did some resawing to make sure when I cut out one of these letters I will be able to push it out one direction or the other.. These are a few of the resawed 12"x12" I needed for these logo's. Even though my maple has been in my shop for about 15 years and when I bought the large amount of the ruff lumber they said it had been milled some 10 years before the auction..  But any time I resaw 1" lumber I am parting some wood that has never been out in the air so I take no chances for warping to take place. I clamp it up so it will all stay straight until I start using it..

IMG_1389.thumb.JPG.e3f4b84c6fb2bf39e4e2f3c0d5be65e2.JPG

Now I'm waiting on some real small blades which has been ordered way too long and not gotten here yet...I hope they don't have to drive over to Germany to pick them up... They should have had them in stock anyway...

The letters are only about 1/2" tall so I gotta hide the booze for the next few days. These shaky hands needs to calm down...

I've cut out some of the bigger items and I might add when cutting things like this, once you start sawing, don't stop until you get back to the starting point cause if you do it will show up big time.IMG_1392.thumb.JPG.ce6c4eb705dce1a091149a352cefe74a.JPG

I also have found over the years to get the best results I only go in one direction..that means I'm always turning the wood clockwise as I saw....

One good thing about using decient blades is when I finish scroll sawing I never have to give any attention to the flat areas the blade cut only the edges might need rounding a hair or not depending on the look a person is after. The blades make the flat areas smoother than what a person can make them with sand paper.  If the blades are used too long a smell of burnt wood will give you a hint and burn marks will start to appear..IMG_1393.thumb.JPG.8ec9eccd5e081e4ab4001d1e5a4586cd.JPG

I've been using blades that are .013 wide and am waiting on some .011 wide.

I've never cut out anything like this for the letters are out in the middle of no where so mistakes will show big time...

I have two suggestions:

1. slow your feed rate, give that small blade time to cut and turn.

2. practice on scrap (of the same material). short sections with a 1" straight line, cut to the center and then spin the blade in place (slowly) cut back out the same line you cut in on. When you are comfortable with the straight lines, work on some "S" curves. An additional practice is to tilt the table and cut the straight line again, this will result in a cone waste piece, practice until the cone is even.

Additionally, I have trained myself to be able to cut either direction, I prefer clockwise (just feels better somehow), but in the fretwork I do I have to be able to cut counterclockwise at times.

Dave I'm glad you replied to that . I didn't finish that not putting my name on........ I meant to add YET. I still have some fine tuning to do before I am finished . And I will have to think about what it is I can do for me to accept it!!!!    My problem is not wanting to admit age is having something to do with my quality of woodworking and I might add everything else also...

I agree with, Gene and Dave it does look nice. 

You were talking about blades. Have you ever tried Pegas blades? The Modified Geometry blades are what I use and I like the #5 the best. The main thing I like is you feed your material straight into the blade instead of at an angle like other blades. Do what I did and order a dozen or two and see if you like them. That is the only way you will know. Look to the right on your screen to buy them by the dozen. If you buy some let me know what you think.

https://www.dndsawbladesonline.com/page/79818204