Hydration and age

Cliff

Hydration and age.

If you have been following me closely ( and who doesn’t?) you’d know I have this annoying problem with peeling cracking and little catchy nubs that form on my finger tips in the winter.

It’s really a handicap. The slits are painful and get infected and refuse to heal, the catchy nibs literally make touching any cloth a total PITA and of course, because they catch, it often tears the skin. Washing the hands or any exposure to water was  a terror because water just drew ore moisture from my skin making  and it became worse the instant I dried my hands. 

Well to prove what a blistering idiot I can be I’ve tried every imaginable topical treatment from prepared stuff off the shelf to concoctions of my own design. Sometimes I get a little relief for a short while but nothing ever lasted more than a few hours. Topical, I said.

Drinking lots of water didn’t seem to help very well. It sort of did but the volume I had to consumer was stupendous. I could not drink that much water.

But then a thing popped into my head. Some years back my lovely missus and I spent the day lazing in front of the fireplace on a cold winter day consuming spendy wine and spendy french cheeses. It was an expensive day.

And my fingers did the exact opposite of what I’d have expected from being in the dry room before a hot fire for so long. They healed up for a couple days.

Recently it occurred to me that here must be something in the cheeses.

What’s in milk? Minerals.

Cheese is concentrated milk with the bacteria having broken the milk components down making the elements (such as ionic minerals) more available to human digestion.

Poof a light bulb burst in my head. Glass shards everywhere.

MINERALS

Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch ~ ~ ~

Hydration has always been the issue. When I was younger I was able to get water in my intracellular tissues better, and without even trying, but I ain’t 16 any more.

So I got some stuff that is all ionic minerals that are engineered to facilitate better hydration.

I got a liquid (you can get it in powder or tablet or liquid), the dose is 12 drops a day (half a teaspoon). Tastes crappy but I can deal with it.

And it’s been like three days of cold weather and I’m doing great. The fingers are healed up, there are no annoying catchy nits, no slits, It’s looking good.

Cliff when I use to refinish furniture my right hand was always cracked and bleeding in places... But never anything happened to my left hand..A one handed person can not strip the finish off of anything so I had to be getting both hands covered with the same stripper....

Many doctors would take skin samples and prescribe ointment either prescribed or over the counter.

This went on from about 35 year old to about 70 years old . This is when I started going to the VA. My doctor I always saw was from India. I showed her my right hand, she said she could stop that with one pill.. She did say she could only give me one and only one for it was bad for my liver...Now 13 yeas later both hands look exactly the same...Neither hand has any cracks now....I have no idea as to what the pill was. She recognized the problem because only one hand was that way... I think she said something was wrong with my liver but really  don't know if she said that or not....I always had my wife with me for I could hardly understand her...So my one hand getting fixed and hearing aids was the only thing the VA did for me........

12 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Good to know and glad it's helping you Cliff.

Well it''s been years of  trying  various ways to cope. I had used every thing  topical on the market and nothing worked . I'd experimented with lipids,  lanolin, exotic oils, acids,   you name it I experimented.  Some things seemed to help  for a few minutes and then they wore off.   It was so bad  I couldn't handle any fabric without the  nits catching and ripping open sores. 

And poof  it's all better.

Not often one finds a solution to an ugly problem like that.

And it is all hydration. Apparently  my circulation in  the hands and feet isn't so hot and that's probably a major contributor.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived