Rigid Drum/belt sander

Ron Altier

I've had a Rigid drum/belt sander for a year now and it does a really good job sanding. However, even with a high volume vacuum, it still does a poor job collecting dust. I tried building a cardboard enclosure and I'd cut and reshape as I went. I have had limited success. 

Without enclosing the whole thing, have you or  anyone you know came up with a better way of dust suppression on this tool?

1 hour ago, Gene Howe said:

But, he didn't address the dust collection. 

He did in a round about way. The dust intake is on the bed behind and his structure would channel the dust toward it. I intend to use something like that and include another place to attach my vac. and rechannel the suction.

I don't understand the video, and what his problem is/was.

I have used mine constantly for 5 years and never was concerned with the alignment being parallel to the belt and miter slot. I have mine on a 4" DC line,split into 3-2 1/2" lines , one for my belt disc sander,one to the Ridgid, and one to my Wen band saw. All 3 ports are open at the same time , this gives me max airflow. I can't say that I get 100% pick up on the dust, but it is satisfactory.

Herb

12 hours ago, Ron Altier said:

I have my shop vac hooked up to it too. The intakes are 5 slots in the bed behind the sanding belt. It sucks more air around it in the back, not dust. I'm building an enclosure that will keep the suction where the dust is, limiting the amount of free dustless air. 

Ron ,have you run it without the DC on to compare how much dust it picks up and from where, This might give you an idea of how best to improve on the dust collection. I have always thought it could be better, but never took the time to improve it because I could live with it the way it is. Maybe a "Y" on the vac hose and install a direct inlet on top side? Be sure to post what you come up with, I will tinker with it too. My biggest concern so far was under the plate, it seemed to build up around the spindle.

Herb

The dust intake openings are on the rear of the belt and are NOT enclosed. They pull in more clean air than dust. I intend to enclose them to max out the dust collection. I'm sure there is suction on the inside too. The problem I have the dust getting away before it gets to the suction slots.

I'll send pictures when I have it built.