Repurposing Junque (Steampunk PC Build)

Larry Buskirk

16 hours ago, Gerald said:

Looking like build from scratch instead of rebuild. Going good there.

Getting to kind of look that way Gerald, but reusing as much as I can is saving in the cost factor, and I doubt whether I could have captured the character of this old desk. I'm not currently set up to work from scratch.

The stripper I've been using is a gallon of the Jasco BIX (The good stuff with the MC) that I found in a box of supplies when we were out picking. :TwoThumbsUp:So the only cost in stripping the old parts is my time. I've got more time than money, so felt it was worth the effort to salvage what I could of this old desk. Most anyone else would have probably left it for the curb pickup due to it's broken condition. A lot of the wood I'm using came from our picking outings also. It's amazing what some people toss out. I've had to purchase a few pieces and was rather sticker shocked at the prices of SFS Oak. :wacko:

3 hours ago, lew said:

Love that drop front drawer idea!

Thanks Lew,

I saw one on an antique Secretaries Desk that the neighbor had for sale awhile back. That one had sides that the front used elbow catches to secure the drawer front in the upright position. I'll be making up a pair of corner brackets, instead of putting sides on the drawer bottom. I've been trying to find a coffee can of old hardware that I salvaged over the years for some elbow catches. Menard's, and Lowe's don't have a clue what an elbow catch is. :huh:

On 5/31/2019 at 8:03 AM, John Morris said:

Wow that is really coming along Larry! Nice engineering and re-purposing. I noticed you mitered the tops of the monitor enclosure and have a straight support for the bottom of the monitor, now that was smart!

Thanks John,

The straight support at the bottom of the monitor was done for both ease of assembly, and to create a ledge at the lower front edge of the monitor. I'll be making a plexiglass mirror cover for when the computer is not in use that will set on the ledge.

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Hope you and your wife recover soon!

Some nice work on this project.

Thanks Curtis, 

The wife and I are both hoping she can come home tomorrow.

She was supposed to be released on Friday, but that didn't happen. One of the meds spiked her blood sugar level, so they're keeping her until at least Monday.