Repurposing Junque (Steampunk PC Build)

Larry Buskirk

13 minutes ago, lew said:

You have been busy! This is gonna be the build to end all builds!!!!!

Thanks Lew,

I'm going over the top with this one.

Wait until you see what I've got in mind for the cabinet it's going into.

I'm going to be busy with Brasso for awhile. :Laughing:

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:49 PM, p_toad said:

the standard lamp finial was threaded for 1/4-27 (quite similarly you will find most US lamp parts threaded with old gas pipe sizes), though most pieces are NPS and not NPT.  you're not the only one who likes the old stuff  :Ps-l1600.jpg.4238dcd594b323a4d61476cc1d33b57d.jpg

Thanks Pete,

I thought it was 1/4" 28 TPI for the lamp thread. I know standard hardware doesn't fit. 

I've got taps, and dies for both 1/8" NPS, and NPT. Along with a lot of old gas light parts. :D

Now that I think about it, I've got a few Markel Slip Shade Light Fixtures. :ChinScratch:

@Grandpadave52,

Maybe a brass plate with "Junque Deco". :WonderScratch: 

On 1/1/2019 at 8:24 PM, Woodbutcherbynight said:

I can see someone finding this and saying man would I like to have one, HOW MUCH???:JawDrop:

Thanks Curtis,

I've seen several case builds over the years, started building one with what is now the top section of this case only to have two motherboards fail with the same problem.

John Morris reminded me of the unfinished one, and it didn't take much work to adapt that case section to this build. That saved me a lot of work and time with this build.

I think I'll be starting another topic/post about the desk/cabinet that this PC will be going into. It will be a compliment to the PC in it's own right.

I've been going through my "goodie" boxes finding all sorts of things I've been saving for years. 

I'll be posting more about the PC build later today.

12 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Too cool...knobs are perfect for the era and this build.

Work of art...I need your creative glasses to see the visions you see.

Thanks Dave,

But I wish my creative glasses had a bit more forward vision.

I ran into a slight problem while checking out laying out the upper hutch portion of the Desk/Cabinet.

I posted the problem in the other Topic/Post.

2 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Genius has no bounds...minor set back..."it to will pass"

Dave,

I'm not sure if it's genius, or insanity! :unsure:

But you're right, I'm already working on a workaround. :DevilLaughing:

I've just got to wait for my neighbor to show up at his Antique Mall so I can go through his scrap brass. ;)

This mornings progress report.

One step forward, three steps back.

As I mentioned in the Topic/Post about the case lid causing the monitor to be placed higher than I had anticipated I've decided to forgo using the lid on the PC case.

The added height would have required me to be looking upward towards the monitor, which I felt would end up being rather uncomfortable for extended PC use.

Bringing it down 4 1/2" would allow me to achieve a straight ahead view of the monitor which I believe I could better live with.

I will also have to come up with a rear mount for the monitor which will allow me to further lower the monitor by removing the monitors stand.

After taking a look at how the PC case would look without the lid, I must say "I Like It."

So without further ado here's a look at the PC case with the beveled glass window set into place, sans lid.

1124770316_BeveledGlassTop.PNG.ef16f6c9f55e5ff55ec22406a878a8c3.PNG

I've still got to trim around the beveled glass with 3/8" Oak quarter round to hide the edges, and chips along the edges.

Here's a look at the PC sitting on the Desk/Cabinet. I'm going to try working on the upper hutch section today if the weather permits.

501495203_PConDesk.PNG.4be37455bbb9fc189f450ea718f0cf28.PNG

I'll also be working on the keyboard/trackball tray section, which I will report about in the other Topic/Post.

Until later. :TwoThumbsUp: