John Morris

MWTCA December 2018 'What's It' Project (662)

Rate this topic

14 hours ago, HandyDan said:

The one on display may have two handles for left hand or right hand use by removing one handle or the other.

Very compelling Dan, one question though, left or right? Why not just hold the iron in one hand or the other, if it's traditionally a one handled tool?:D

3 hours ago, John Morris said:

Very compelling Dan, one question though, left or right? Why not just hold the iron in one hand or the other, if it's traditionally a one handled tool?:D

The tool itself looks directional to me with only one rounded side and one handle would have to be removed if working inside the hat.  Unless you want to make air vents at the same time.:P

Edited by HandyDan

2 hours ago, John Morris said:

one question though, left or right? Why not just hold the iron in one hand or the other, if it's traditionally a one handled tool?

Possibly a later model with a handle modification to address that very question.

3 hours ago, John Morris said:

For use on either side of the equator consistent with drain flows rotation.:rolleyes:

Edited by Grandpadave52

@John Morris

I sent an email to the company and they inquired about purchasing if you would like to pass that along.  Here is a copy of the email so far.

Dear Sirs,

I am wondering if you could confirm the piece as a hatters Iron.  These are the only two images available at this time.  Any light you can shed on this item would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Dan Hunkele

Hi,

It's certainly some sort of specialty iron, and I once had one similar marked by a maker in NJ, a center for tools and leatherworking pieces and such in the late 1800's-early 1900's.  I imagine it could have been used in the hatmaking trade as well.

Do you own it and are you planning to sell it?

Larry

Larry Meeker 5702 Vacation Blvd. Somerset, CA 95684 530.620.7019 www.patented-antiques.com www.antiqbuyer.com antiqbuyer@gmail.com

Hi Larry,

I do not own this iron.  I participate in a woodworking website and we are trying to determine what it is.  I found the picture below on your website which is why I contacted you.  I will certainly pass along your request about purchasing it and get back with you if they would like to sell.

IMG_2096.jpg.70af16cee3d52a6adec7c2af8b6d741b.jpg

I found this photo as the 24th item on your web page listed here and you describe it as a hatters iron, hence my inquiry.  

https://www.antiqbuyer.com/All_Archives/IRONS_ARCHIVE/Great_arch2.htm

I am grateful for your response and  would like to hear from you again if this picture happens to jog your memory some more.

On 12/2/2018 at 12:31 PM, Dadio said:

Looks like you heat the slug of iron red hot and unscrew the one handle and screw it on the hot slug ,drop it in the tool and slide the lid closed and then.........................

Notice that the left side of the steel case is thicker for some reason.

Herb

Thick side is a "Flat Iron"...."Thin side"  is a Curved Iron....

15 hours ago, steven newman said:

Thick side is a "Flat Iron"...."Thin side"  is a Curved Iron....

I see that now Steve.  I had not picked up on that earlier. That seems like a pretty important part of this whole piece.  Enough so that an additional pic making sure it is noticeable would be in order...  Jus' sayin'.  I know we have no control over the pics, and what we get is what we get...

Not yet, it's the first of the month already? Man, I gotta get a MWTCA recipient chosen today! Thanks for the reminder @p_toad.

6 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

@John Morris, Were my answers and research good enough?

I think so...

@HandyDan, and fellas, I am completely sorry, the whole MWTCA project got away from me over the last month and fell off the radar, I will get completely get caught up this weekend, and get a new one up and a confirmed ye or nay on your research Dan, thanks all for your patience!

2 hours ago, John Morris said:

I am completely sorry, the whole MWTCA project got away from me over the last month and fell off the radar, I will get completely get caught up this weekend,

You need a twin

16 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

You need a twin

couple dozen clones...

Hey guys, as I get caught up here, first I'd like to thank Dan for his diligent research and contacts, Dan completely jumps into these with the spirit of the project as it was created for, education, research, and preservation, appreciate it much sir!

I am getting ready to submit Dan's answer to MWTCA, but I need to get this clear as I have caught up with the commentary on this What's It and many are saying it's a hatters iron. I am playing the Devils Advocate as I always do in these projects.

If it's a hatters iron, why the two handles? It appears to have been made as a two handle iron, two be used by two hands at once. I am convinced it is an iron, but for hatting I am not so.

Folks here are talking about a curved side of the item, I don't see it. Can someone help me see it?

Thanks guys, and again, thanks Dan, wonderful job!

@John Morris  This is what I see.

662.jpg.4b136f88d7574e0c83770478745e1ad4.jpg.c6fd19a11458c4f4bba88d166243a225.jpg

Here is a screen shot from the web site I listed.

https://screenshots.firefox.com/AinAvMsd2on0waEs/www.antiqbuyer.com#

Here is the web site.

https://www.antiqbuyer.com/All_Archives/IRONS_ARCHIVE/Great_arch2.htm

In the individual shot I see it sitting on the flat side and the top is rounded side.

IMG_2096.jpg.17239e5710c5196699764120368c7d80.jpg

Edited by HandyDan

Thank you Dan. Great research on this project. The answer is being reviewed by MWTCA. Good luck!