Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Moody

Friday, November 30,2018, What’s on your Patriot Woodworker agenda?

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Here's that mesquite slab after 3 coats of the home brewed wipe on finish.

Beautiful & unique piece Gene. Such character in the wood and with the added features.

We'll need pictures once the legs are done & installed. I vote for a medium gloss black...oooh, powder coat would be awesome.

11 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Beautiful & unique piece Gene. Such character in the wood and with the added features.

We'll need pictures once the legs are done & installed. I vote for a medium gloss black...oooh, powder coat would be awesome.

Thanks, Dave. Mesquite is fun.

As to the base...who knows? But, powder coat is probably off the table...pun intended. He was talking about hair pin legs. We'll see. 

2 hours ago, Cal said:

That is a beautiful piece Gene.  What does it weigh?  And approx. dimensions?  And hair pin legs can be powder coated...

Thanks, Cal. 

I'm guessing it's about 8+ lbs. But, things seem to weigh more than they used to.:unsure:

It's about 17" across and 16" long. It's a tad over 2 1/2" thick. 

Kevin bends, welds and paints. Don't think he's in to powder coating...yet. but, he often surprises me.

1 minute ago, Gene Howe said:

Don't think he's in to powder coating

Check with some of the local automotive body shops. Now-a-days, many have the capability to do small to medium projects. Some are equipped to do frames and body panels.

1 minute ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Check with some of the local automotive body shops. Now-a-days, many have the capability to do small to medium projects. Some are equipped to do frames and body panels.

We have a few shops around here that just do powder coating.

Hey guys. Thanks for the tips on powder coating. But, it's going to be indoors, it's just an end table and, chances are, the legs or whatever, will not be too visible. 

After all, it ain't no showpiece. It is just an example of "lets not waste this hunk and, lets have some fun."

I posted that slab over on Lumberjocks. They placed it in the top three projects. They must be hard up for entrants. The only tools used were sanders, a router and chisel. One of the easiest things I've ever done. Ah well, glad they liked it.

16 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

They placed it in the top three projects.

Hmmm, I wonder, should we have some type of recognition like that here, it's a great idea. Does LJ's award you anything for being in the top three besides bragging rights?

1 minute ago, lew said:

Just bragging rights

What do you think of the idea of a dedicated department to show top projects?

Just now, John Morris said:

How would they be picked? That seems to be one of the "sticking points" at LJ's. Many comments on why one project was picked another not.

1 minute ago, John Morris said:

The idea is great...on paper. No one knows how the projects on LJs are selected for the award. If it's a real known person, he/she would likely have an in box full of hate mail. 

6 minutes ago, lew said:

How would they be picked? That seems to be one of the "sticking points" at LJ's. Many comments on why one project was picked another not.

I recall one such incident that raged for weeks. Lotta hurtful comments. It got ugly.