Zero Clearance Tape

Dadio

Remember all the hours you spent making Zero Clearance inserts for the table Saw? Probably all of you guys know this, but for the ones that don't there is a Zero Clearance tape out on the market, sold at most Big Box Stores, that you just tape over the slot in your existing tablesaw and raise the blade to cut the slot. Fast Cap has some good video's of it at this web site:

https://www.fastcap.com/product/zero-clearance-tape

You start the tape back far enough so the material lays on the tape, this will prevent the tape from rolling up from catching the edge.

Herb

5 hours ago, Cal said:

Wow, they actually make this stuff?  I have used plain old packing tape (not strapping).  It is good for 1 or 2 cuts and leaves a nasty residue - but it does work.

I have used duct tape before,Blue tape too, just sliding it up till almost touching the side of the blade, but it only lasts for a few cuts. I don't recomend it.This tape is stiffer is my guess, I ordered some and will try it.

Herb

1 hour ago, Dadio said:

I ordered some and will try it.

Didn't know this product was out there.

Definitely would be a plus on CMS. I think it would work very well on your specific RAS set-up too Herb.

Appreciate the tip and look forward to your review once you get it. I'll hold ordering until you recommend it.

@Grandpadave52

Yes I plan on trying it on my radial arm saw too.

@Smallpatch

The problem is with the new job site saws, they have a very thin factory insert, 1/16"-3/32" thick X 3/32 wide recess for the lip. The steel inserts work OK, but wooden ones really need more support, IMO.

Herb

Wooden ZCIs work just fine on my shopsmiths. But, similar to Herb's comment about job site saws, they are not so easy to make. The stick on from Fast Cap on my SCMS is 16" long by 1 1/2" wide and right at a MM thick. For my taste, that's too thick for use on the TS. But, that's just me. 

@Gene Howe

That is what I want to determine,the shorter the material being cut the more the angle off perpendicular to the blade will be. The only remedy might be to apply several strips parallel on the tabletop. On the big table saw I use a Rockler sled which is ZC, but the Bosch 4100 has a very generous slot in the insert and is made of a thin steel.

Herb

Edited by Dadio