My move from craftsman to art?

Bob Hodge

Very cool Bob.  Do you keep notes so that you will be able to refer back to see what the wood & finish was?

While I know this is meant to be viewed as a whole, as a woodworker and tinkerer, I am also interested in the parts.  In particular, the second from the top and the second & third from the bottom if you would indulge me...

13 minutes ago, Cal said:

I am also interested in the parts.  In particular, the second from the top and the second & third from the bottom if you would indulge me...

I started to track the finishes on the back of each one.  Then, I ended up painting the back, forgetting to write down the finish. Argh.

Well, to your question, second from the top is a small scrap from a walnut crotch.  Second up from the bottom is mulberry. I cut through to the mahogany backing, so its now a feature.  Third up is lacewood scrap from thirty years ago, ringed with poplar. I won't use poplar again.  

21 minutes ago, Gerald said:

Nice project. This going to be a wall hanging or a table display?

Wall hanging.  It is about 30 inches long.  I am doing another one about four feet long.  This is all ramping up to what I want to do as a "wood museum" to take up much of a 8 foot by 8 foot space.  I had contemplated wood "bricks" of different woods, inlays and other, yet this approach will allow me to add new plates as I encounter those wonderfully unique pieces of wood that one would never use in a larger piece.  Occlusions, holes, and other are welcome.  I am also experimenting with filling voids with crushed minerals from my wife's hobby.  

That's a cool idea, Bob. Very pretty.

I'm not a turner but, in using mesquite, my favorite wood, I encounter beaucoup voids. I use turquoise powder and chunks to fill with. It cuts easily and, I'd think, would turn just as easily. In fact, I've seen pens with turquoise inlays. Other stones I use have to be crushed to a fine powder and, even so, might quickly dull turning tools. Maybe not EWT carbide, though.;)

Edited by Gene Howe

Gene, thanks.

I've wanted to work with mesquite, yet "give me your scraps and cutoffs" in Indiana has not yielded any. I may have to just buy some.

And, yes, I think turquoise would look really good as it remains a solid color even when crushed. Many minerals lose their color when crushed as the edges become more reflective e.g. any quartz based mineral.  Presently, I have access to green malachite that works well.  I add some brass shavings from the local hardware store that makes keys.  

I am careful to "bury" the minerals below the surface so the tools don't touch them.  Experimenting with both CA and epoxy to cover them.  CA seems to result in a clearer cover.  Love to hear more from you on this topic.

The malachite I've used is found locally and, I find it too friable for what I do. I've seen it in rock stores that seem to be much less crumbly and better color. 

As to CA vs epoxy resin, for very small voids, CA works great. But, bigger voids require resin. I've found that products advertised as "Casting Resin", specifically, polyester casting resins, are very clear. However, my methods require mixing the powders and small pieces in the epoxy then, packing it in the void. Clarity is not an issue, in that case. Often, the void is partially filled with glue and sawdust, in order to save on the turquoise. I'm cheap. And, this is flat work. The fill will never be seen. 

4 hours ago, Bob Hodge said:

in Indiana has not yielded any.

I guess I had forgotten you are a Hoosier Bob and live "next door" to Ron D...Seem to recall now though you living very close to Ivanhoe's:P

Your transition to wood art is amazing as is your appreciation for various unique wood species, defects & all. I'm sure you will as any great artist does, but be sure you sign & date the overall piece somewhere.

45 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

I guess I had forgotten you are a Hoosier Bob and live "next door" to Ron D...Seem to recall now though you living very close to Ivanhoe's:P

Bob, our secret is out.  Dave, Bob and I attend the same church.  More important, we’re good friends.

Very nice Bob.

I've tried giving Mulberry away in the past without any takers, after seeing this, I'll probably have to hang on to some for myself and others. I've got a White Mulberry tree that is now on it's last legs. I've also got Red Mulberry that are in need of trimming.

@Gene Howe I forgot to pick up a flat rate box when I went to vote, the wife was getting a bit uncomfortable after standing waiting in line, and wanted to get home. Would you like some of the Mulberry to go along with the Box Elder? I just remembered that I've also got Swamp White Oak. The power company pretty much butchered our biggest one when the power lines came in contact with the tree and started a fire in the tree and the line came down in the process. Want some of that also? 

Thanks for the affirmation of my attempt to be artsy.  Here is my second attempt.  I share it here not for more applause but to show the cool wood that goes into it.  The variety of colors and grains in wood, most from scraps, just blows me away - lignum vita, red oak, cherry, red bud - a little spalting, white oak with bubinga inserts. The middle is my favorite - birds-eye maple with a bark inclusion.  I learned the stain-sand, stain-sand, BLO technique here, making the bird's eyes dance before your eyes.  Then, a walnut frame around part of a yew bush root ball.  I won't try that again as I learned how root balls encapsulate rocks.  Then, a mystery wood from Mexico - oily stuff that I also learned how to finish on this group.

So, with good advice here and pieces donated from many friends, this is a group project.  

swoosh two for bc.jpeg