help identfy sandpaper

steamshovel

7 minutes ago, steamshovel said:

I think it is cloth backed and very thick.

Assuming cloth backed, I speculate it's a form (grit) of Emery cloth unless it's a form of Crocus cloth which is unlikely based on the blue color. Any/all crocus cloth I've had is a reddish brown (rust) colored primarily since it's made of Iron Oxide coating adhered to a cloth back.

Any idea how course this is? I didn't get any hits for 402 2 on the web.

I agree with Stick...if it's ~80g, I'd say it's emery cloth...I'll have to look Preston, but think I have some (emery) very similar with the blue paper. It came in an assortment pack of 60g, 80g, 100g. I also have  roll of 80g & 120g, cloth backed, but it's only an inch wide. Emery is best suited for metals only.

Charlie could be on to something too that the piece might be remnants of sanding belt. I may have some of those with blue cloth as well??? I squirrel away any broken belts or belts worn more on the edges to re-use in various applications . Either cut up in strips or small pads and use on 1/4 sheet palm sander or some hand sanders.

I toiled in a bumper factory for some 40 years, where the steel was pickled, 'flat' polished' stamped, finish polished, plated and then buffed to make the finished product. We used a great variety of abrasive belts, from 42" or 48" wide all the way down to 2". Suppliers changed over the years, but I remember using blue belts for quite some time. If a belt snapped, it was garbage, and we were allowed to cut it to a useable size and take it home. I still have a selection in the shop, I'll see if I can find a sample that looks like the picture.

John

Edited by HARO50

28 minutes ago, HARO50 said:

I toiled in a bumper factory for some 40 years, where the steel pickled, 'flat' polished' stamped, finish polished, plated and then buffed to make the finished product.

Should have transferred to the rubber, baby, buggy, bumper division:throbbinghead:

Been gone all day, but just checked my stash. (No, not THAT one... my sandpaper stash! :rolleyes:) I have several 2 1/2" wide cloth-backed belts in finer grades, but nothing that resembles the original picture. However, something jogged my memory.... IIRC, the "2" at the end of the number 402 2 would most likely indicate the flexibility of the product. There were three steps, "1" being mildly flexible (1 direction), "2" flexing in 2 directions, and "3" being, well... roughly like a dishrag. The 402, however, doesn't correspond to anything I once knew about coated abrasives. Sorry! :blush:

John