Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
HARO50

A different kind of workbench

Rate this topic

Thanks @HARO50 for initiating this thread.

Our wintering residents change during the course of the winter depending on how harsh either the cold, snow or both becomes. It becomes a challenge sometimes to keep feeders clean in freezing weather but worth the reward.  I'm really enjoying reading everyone's various experiences and the diverse variety of birds in your areas.

Keep it going.

18 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Keep it going.

Okay, you asked for it!

As most of you know, birdseed tends to get picked through, and a lot of it winds up on the ground under the feeders. This attracts mice, voles and shrews, which tunnel under the snow to get THEIR share. Once in a while, these rodents wind up on the menu themselves!

DSC_0769.thumb.JPG.8adb54c802bbc0f9d0e744984cad5155.JPG

Screech owl. Spent an entire day, but I never saw him get any.

DSC_0791.JPG.0e49e9151906445af1c0a9977f5d89bb.JPG

Barred owl, female. Spent three days here, the first day she was sitting on the deck railing, just observing. I could open the window to take her picture, and she just stared at me, occasionally winking at me as if to say "Yup, I'm still here!"

DSC_0797.thumb.JPG.ae86c228cbf577f50d72df96b2266402.JPG

The second day, she was perched on the wooden feeder, checking the snow underneath. On two separate occasions I was able to photograph her hunting. Keep in mind that at no time could she actually SEE her prey, they were under a foot or more of snow!

DSC_0798.thumb.JPG.80d58a82a9cf268dbe5d2a39779a0384.JPG

She launches herself off the feeder....

DSC_0799.thumb.JPG.d02564cf73cb4e37ee135c3ec065bd32.JPG

DSC_0800.thumb.JPG.81f5bf1ae8f9228ce7955554b156e4b7.JPG

.... gropes around in the snow.....

DSC_0801.thumb.JPG.edb40ad78f3d105258c5e3de302afad1.JPG

..... and finally enjoys the fruits (or MEATS) of her labors!

Sorry for taking up so much space, but you DID ask for it! :D

John

Almost forgot.... the third day was spent on a green metal "squirrel-proof" feeder, mostly watching the ground

We were only home part of the day, and I don't know if she got any more.

DSC_0815.thumb.JPG.8e01cdc2a47df27cf45a05cecc29cd47.JPGDSC_0829.thumb.JPG.a26c3a1541aa28ec028cc853ef7055e3.JPGDSC_0824.JPG.4b3c3df0d6a0b8b1187649a22f14a8cc.JPG

John

Just one more! My favourite.

DSC_0814.thumb.JPG.7a3297792fbc529147f7794ebdaa1a36.JPG

John

4 hours ago, Ron Pemberton said:

she said he sits on the back porch and try's to outsmart squirrels.

SNORK!!!

2 hours ago, HARO50 said:

Okay, you asked for it!

GOT MORE???

2 hours ago, HARO50 said:

Sorry for taking up so much space,

no problemo...

1 hour ago, HARO50 said:

Just one more! My favourite.

that is one beautiful bird...

please take care of it...

3 hours ago, HARO50 said:

Sorry for taking up so much space, but you DID ask for it!

Yep and well worth the space too. Beautiful birds. Quite unusual to see screech or barn owls here. Hear them often at night through early morning during late spring through early fall.

We have hawks including one red-tail that hang around starting about now through the winter months. They mesmerize me too...but owls are just way cool.

BTW...GREAT pictures!!

Edited by Grandpadave52

14 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Quite unusual to see  barn owls here.

Here too. I heard recently there are only nine pairs left in the province. The pictures are of a BARRED owl, much more common. Sorry for the confusion.

John

Many, many years ago for three consecutive winters we had an almost pure white, Snowy Owl spend a few days at a time on our property. He would perch in a maple tree in the front yard...sometimes hours on end. Outside of a Bald Eagle, the most magnificent bird I've ever seen in the wild. Two years ago, we were blessed to have a Bald Eagle around for a few days too. Saw him several times during those few days.

On-line picture...I'd have to dig through lots of old pictures to find the few we were able to take with the old Kodak Instamatic...no digital back then.

image.png.c8cedeac4dd449c1e2117a222f4584d6.png

They ARE beautiful! We see them every seven years or so. Apparently they come south looking for food whenever the lemming population up North gets a little low. About 25 years ago, as I was coming home from work around 11:30 pm, one flew so low across the road that its wingtips brushed my windshield. I stopped and looked for it in the ditch, but apparently it wasn't hurt.

John

I have seen some of the snowy owls when I go metal detecting at the beach in Salisbury, during the winter. I dunno if Alb has seen them from his house, but a couple of years ago, they could almost have been described as prevalent. I believe Salisbury is where they release the snowy owls they catch at Logan Airport. They are majestic looking.