California King Bed

Ron Dudelston

I had a customer contact me about building a California king bed.  She had an idea and a picture but I’m a little uncertain about the construction of the frame because of theweight of the mattress and box spring.  Any of you guys every build a California king that could offer some insight?

Mattress and box spring come to about 100#.  Occupants, dead weight, might be 600#-plus.  If they're, uh, moving the impact loading might double the stress.  Maybe more.  If you research the web, you might find source documents on minimum standards, but if I were calculating it, I'd start at about 1500# design load. 

@Ron Dudelston

I would build it like any other King sized frame. Typically, the California King (Western King, et. al.) are a few inches longer then the standard King (or Eastern King). The one thing to be careful of, is that they are sometimes narrower then the typical bed. So, they can be longer but also narrower then the regular King size mattress. In actuality, they both have the same surface areas.

So, the important variable here is to make sure of the actual mattress dimensions before you make the frame.

I ran into that with my mother's bed a few years ago. She and my father purchased a California Queen (my father was 6' and needed the length) in the early 60's. My mother was still sleeping on the same mattress 35 years later. It was so uncomfortable I insisted on buying her a new mattress. It would have had to be special ordered and cost prohibitive. I ended up buying her a Select Comfort air mattress.

However, because the bed frame WAS narrower then the regular Queen I had to buy her a full size and shorten the bed frame rails.

The center supports are normal on most frames larger then the average Queen. Add the center supports and you should be OK.

Hope this helped.

9 hours ago, schnewj said:

@Ron Dudelston

So, the important variable here is to make sure of the actual mattress dimensions before you make the frame.

I second that notion.  When I converted a 3/1 cribs to full size, I found that "full" is standard width between mfrs, but different lengths.  One crib has a 4" gap at the foot, the other fits the mattress because I try not to goof twice the same way.  (Goofing twice in different ways is par for my course!)