I have enough trouble seeing flats in person, cannot tell in person. I like the look of milk paint just cannot visualize the form best for it. Took a class at East Tennessee with Dixie Biggs and there was a lady teaching using natural pigments to make milk pain and that was very interesting.  Maybe you should start putting what you do on the  bottom.... inside the bowl.

"A guy like Glenn considers nuances and details most of us never would."

I don't sweat what others think of my work.  Think you can do better, grab some lumber and knock  yourself out.

If you and the recipient like it, that's all that matters.  matter of fact, if you don't like it, but the recipient does, that's still a win.

Anyone can be a critic, just sit back and find fault.  easiest job in the world.

I think it looks very nice.

9 minutes ago, DAB said:

"A guy like Glenn considers nuances and details most of us never would."

I don't sweat what others think of my work.  Think you can do better, grab some lumber and knock  yourself out.

If you and the recipient like it, that's all that matters.  matter of fact, if you don't like it, but the recipient does, that's still a win.

Anyone can be a critic, just sit back and find fault.  easiest job in the world.

I think it looks very nice.

I will have to disagree with you on this one. For starters,  I can see that top curve could be a little better, no one pointed that out to me. As for someone like Glenn critiquing my work, I welcome it and I paid a lot of money last week for the privilege of having him look at what I was doing and helping me to do it better, which he did. It's not often a person gets a chance to learn from a world class artist  and I will try to  learn from him any chance I get.

Steve

we'll have to disagree on this.

if i paid to learn how to turn a pleasing bowl, i'd expect some discussion of the elements of a good bowl.  proportions (height/width ratio), rim thickness, source of external curve shape (perhaps some math is involved?), examples of historical "good" bowls compared with "bad" bowls, so i had some idea of what history has settled on as "good".  then i'd have some basis for knowing if what i'm turning is approaching that standard or not.

what i would not be looking for is someone to critique MY work for a perceived flaw that they didn't like that I didn't notice.

i'll admit i have not taken any woodworking classes since HS, and that was basic tool use and not much on design aspects.  so i've developed my lines on my own over time.  i like it.  that's enough for me.

that other thread with the really complicated bowl/vase, it was a very involved piece, but as I noted, i shoot for beauty and utility, not just an art piece.

so don't be afraid of making a mistake (as viewed by yourself).  i've made my share.  most don't get shown.

keep up the good work.

11 hours ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

One of the bowls we did last week with Glenn Lucas was a milk paint bowl. The technique works best with an open grain wood like ash or oak.

Steve, I've been pondering on this...I assume this is not necessarily a new technique, but maybe a revival of sorts? For dummies like me, does it have a specific technique name or period when it was popular? In a way, it reminds me of something one might have seen done with Shaker furniture; mainly flat work? Just curious and trying to get smarter (well less dumb).

I could see where someone might want to do this type of finish on flat work too. In fact, it gave me a couple of ideas. Now I just have to remember them until next spring/summer.:unsure:

7 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Steve, I've been pondering on this...I assume this is not necessarily a new technique, but maybe a revival of sorts? For dummies like me, does it have a specific technique name or period when it was popular? In a way, it reminds me of something one might have seen done with Shaker furniture; mainly flat work? Just curious and trying to get smarter (well less dumb).

I could see where someone might want to do this type of finish on flat work too. In fact, it gave me a couple of ideas. Now I just have to remember them until next spring/summer.:unsure:

Hi Dave

They say there is nothing new under the sun. With that, I have not seen this technique before. I remember back in the 80's it was popular to leave a table top natural and paint the apron and legs so I guess that would be very similar.

Steve

17 hours ago, Gerald said:

I have enough trouble seeing flats in person, cannot tell in person. I like the look of milk paint just cannot visualize the form best for it. Took a class at East Tennessee with Dixie Biggs and there was a lady teaching using natural pigments to make milk pain and that was very interesting.  Maybe you should start putting what you do on the  bottom.... inside the bowl.

My wife suggested that as well, and I've thought about it, just haven't found the right piece yet. Now I think about it, I have kind of done that on some of my basket weave platters. Still had to put something on the bottom though. In one of her DVD's Cindy Drozda mentions rewarding a person for picking up a piece and looking at the bottom. She's fairly successful so I guess that influenced me some.

Steve