CEDAR LINING

Buckaroo

Hi Buck, Buck, Buckaroo... I have done several blanket chests and lined them with the cedar closet liner boards that are sold at Lowes & HD.  They are about 14" thickness.  Is there another product out there specifically for blanket chests that is a bit thinner?  I really like the nicer cedar smell when the chest is opened.

Edited by Cal

38 minutes ago, Cal said:

lined them with the cedar closet liner boards that are sold at Lowes & HD.

I've done the same...mine came from Menard's but probably same product as Blue & Orange. I've used either 18 ga brads or 23 ga pin nails nailing through the tongue (like you would do on hardwood flooring) to secure...no glue.

Product Info Click Here

image.png.c36a6bf9289d493b85b1e48e5388bd3b.png

One word of caution, oil in the cedar can stain fabrics when placed in direct contact. Either wrap fabric in plastic or place loose layer on bottom & sides to prevent direct contact with the fabric.

Another quick suggestion speaking of Gramps suggestion about oil in the Cedar, years ago I built a blanket chest, one of a few, my first one, never never never never never never never ever, use BLO on the inside of your chest, it stinks to this day! Someday I'll put a coat of shellac over it to hide the stink. I keep thinking it'll air out eventually, 8 years later and it has not! I'm getting used to the smell of BLO on our light shawls and blankets. :lol:

I built a cedar chest in high school shop class, solid cedar. Then later built a cedar line chest, worked fine. My wife wanted me to line a closet with cedar when I did some remodeling.  I found out that they made a pressed panel like todays pressed particle board. I installed it and it had the cedar smell. However after a period of years the smell left. I was told to sand the surface and it would return. There was NO way she would take everything out or put up with the mess.

11 hours ago, John Morris said:

Another quick suggestion speaking of Gramps suggestion about oil in the Cedar, years ago I built a blanket chest, one of a few, my first one, never never never never never never never ever, use BLO on the inside of your chest, it stinks to this day! Someday I'll put a coat of shellac over it to hide the stink. I keep thinking it'll air out eventually, 8 years later and it has not! I'm getting used to the smell of BLO on our light shawls and blankets. :lol:

Why am I now picturing You wearing a shawl?

By George I done went & opened a box of info on using Cedar!! I have several board ft. of it under the shelter, now I'm ??'ing muself bout building Cedar Chest wit it!!

Good Grief Charlie Brown what else/other can I do with it, it needs ta be planed prolly be 3/4" after. Dag gum, yall got my old brain thanking, heaw I wuz thanking I had something special, guess I'll do other wise.

UNLESS SOMEBODY gives me good idea what I can do with it. Guess I could build a set of those's 'cuties' truck bodies, ya kno, ones only one four inch board high, goes to bout middle of bed and & stops, you kno what I mean.

THANKS EVERYONE for information.

3 minutes ago, Buckaroo said:

now I'm ??'ing muself bout building Cedar Chest wit it!!

No need to ?? yourself about it. Nothing wrong with building a chest out of it at all...just some precautions on what/how you might store things inside.

You still can use some of it to line the cherry chest too...resew it, then plane it down to 1/4" +/-.

You can also make small boxes with it for jewelry. keepsakes, personal items and the like.

6 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

You still can use some of it to line the cherry chest too...resew it, then plane it down to 1/4"

My turn Dave:D

Assume you meant resaw it?  Or do you use a needle and thread to put it back together?;)

Good ideas tho Buck.  When our son was a teen he scroll sawed out car emblems out of 1/4" scraps and sold them as "never ending air fresheners" or something like that.

2 hours ago, Cal said:

Assume you meant resaw it?

I did,:blush: but just goes to show you how quickly a computer can take over:lol:

...or just trying to see if you would catch it:rolleyes:

...or my Southern drawl kicked in momentarily;)

...or all those letters are grouped together sew ya' never know what might pop up...:blink:

Edited by Grandpadave52