Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Smallpatch

I scroll sawed this today and next

Rate this topic

I played around with this thing between snacks today since I won't be in the shop for a couple of daysIMG_1218.thumb.JPG.6192a28852e91dfd370eaffc776a28b1.JPG

That's bigger than I thought after seeing it in relation to the blow-gun & R/A die grinder. Really taking shape now.

Dave its about 14" long. The original pattern I took off of Pinterest was about 6". I've put all the pieces back together so I'm working with one piece again and after looking at it on the puter I see more little things I need to clear up before I stain it...I'm thinking it might be that dye stain mahogany I put on a carved wall clock a year or so ago.. but don't be surprised if you see it next as a pee green mess

Okay I got the set of names out that I was figuring on adding to this hunk of wood. Its been some years since I cut them out with the scroll saw I didn't realize I had cut each letter out individually which is almost impossible to glue on to a board and look good..Lots of labor lost cause after I made these I figured out how to cut the letters out and still have them connected in to each name... And I think these names are too big for this piece of wood.???IMG_1220.thumb.JPG.46c84fda5bbc84bd712ffc40b13eaf5a.JPG

So I will go to Microsoft Word and print me out some smaller names. And I think I will make mom and dad in bigger sizes than the three kids?? Too bad for it looks like these were some of my better times running the scroll saw. Funny how a few years can change the body.....!

I'm pretty sure I used a Flying Dutchman #3 reverse tooth blade back then but the reverse tooth is not important cutting these letters, its more the #3 size that I can make run straight, or use to....

13 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

And I think these names are too big for this piece of wood.???

Patch, if you're talking about all five of the first names, then I would have to agree...they seem disproportionately large for the carved piece. I'll also agree, too bad, because they really did turn out VERY nice.

I really like the font type...can you just change the font size in your program and do over or would it be to difficult to scroll a smaller size?

Maybe you make something in addition to what yo have planned for this family using the letters above. I'd guess they were would very happy.

Dave these fonts are already on the Microsoft 10 as WordPad and with the 20 dollar printer I'm ready for the world... I choose the size I need and tap the printer. I usually go a few sizes so I can take it to the shop and choose what looks best. The sizes next to the wood was probably 200 IMG_1226.thumb.JPG.fc22d004bc304cfdaf90c2b487e1123f.JPG

I first took a picture from the bottom and they all looked the same size then from the top the different sizes show up better. Word Pad goes to size 72 but tapping the big A next to the font size will take the sizes as large as a person needs. I put the sizes next to the names so if I need more .

These are already on Microsoft 10 and 8 and 7  but one needs a printer and I bought the cheapest printer, Canon 2522, 20 dollars, and it comes with ink, just to show one does not have to empty his pocket book to get good results.

I have to use Rapid Resizer when I load pictures from somewhere else like Pinterest...

The penciled in box is how I tie all the letters together so each name is glued together on the board.

Edited by Smallpatch

After I scroll sawed the names and tied the letters together I etched in the bottom board then kinda made it look like a log the names are sitting on and hopefully they go better with the carving piece.

And I find if I attach each letter to the board in two places it is secure enough until I glue the names on to a board.. IMG_1238.thumb.JPG.d3639b7e23befc9784d00611fa2e63c2.JPG

IMG_1242.thumb.JPG.e900e949287de9ee638abb9cd6b20819.JPG

Edited by Smallpatch

Might be what I end up with but the color or lack of it is still got my rear end drawed up!! So what should I do?IMG_1247.thumb.JPG.d5ff22f13ee89af049090b79f1665a6f.JPG

Looks like I should slip the log down a hair before nailing it! One good thing with the printer, I printed lots of different size names then chose the size to saw. 

36 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

I printed lots of different size names then chose the size to saw. 

You picked the right ones IMO. Looks great. As for the color, your creative talent far exceeds any suggestions I could offer up.

Looks great Jess.  Agree on dropping the log just a tad, and maybe rotate a couple degrees?  It might just be me or the camera angle, but it looks slightly cocked.

As for colors, what do you think Jeff & Sheri might like?

I think you have a good eye Cal. A little down on the right side did help. The original picture didn't have the extra part up on the left side, carving with black ink, and I added it for it looked lopsided without it.

As for what color they prefer, never thought to ask them ........my kids are not like me for they never complain. Thinking it will be natural for I already applied 100% tung oil on the carving only to bring out some color. After the first coat dries I'll see what to do next.