I scroll sawed this today and next

Smallpatch

Well Patch, ya' already lost me on this one when you cut the big chunk down into lots of little chunks plus the original pattern is gone.

I'd drop a piece which invariably will hide under a bench or tool or the dog would sneak in and carry it off. Pretty soon I'd convince myself I never had it to begin with...But on the up side, I'd find pencils and other stuff I lost some time ago...

...But I'm watching this 'cause I know this will end up being spectacular.

Edited by Grandpadave52

@Smallpatch

I'm watching this project with interest.:huh:

But I'm afraid :1807155860_BitingNails:I'd be in a worse spot than Grandpadave52. 

1 hour ago, Grandpadave52 said:

I'd drop a piece which invariably will hide under a bench or tool or the dog would sneak in and carry it off. Pretty soon I'd convince myself I never had it to begin with...But on the up side, I'd find pencils and other stuff I lost some time ago...

I'm already long past the point of your first sentence. :670057077_CoveringEyes: 

It'd take me at least a week to find all the parts, supplies, etc. to just get the old scrollie set up.

My long term memory thinks that all that stuff is in there somewhere. :2087728586_WonderScratch:

Taking all the other stuff out to find it might allow me to find a floor. :1726666591_DayDreaming:

2 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

I think in two or three more years I won't be able to find the shop. My long term memory is fine, its what happened yesterday that is going away.

:Tapping: Wait a minute, what was I thinking? :rolleyes:

Monday we went to the doctors. Two different doctors, one in the morning and the other almost dark. Next Tuesday two different doctors. A dentist and a rear end doctor.

The weekend I got the wood ready and Tuesday glued the pattern and cut the outside out. Then with all most all the excess wood cut away, except for the four pieces sticking out from the carving area I then knew where I could put lots of screws around in to the carving without putting a screw where my grinders would loose a bit or two. Then with all the screw out of the back, I changed to a very small scroll saw blade and cut most all the pieces in to smaller pieces...Some pieces will be flattened with the and saw and some pieces will get more height by gluing an inch or so in the right place to add that extra swirl...IMG_1174.thumb.JPG.8921cc442b351142de633118b3c68f1c.JPG

These four areas sticking out for no reason is where I first secure the backer board to the maple carving board to cut away all the waste wood...After all this excess wood is gone I now know where I can add maybe 20 screws which later after all the pieces are carved and I start to glue it all back together I add those screw  in to the screw holes I already made....Then after all the inside pieces are cut away from each other I take the pattern off all the pieces.....so I can start grinding away the unwanted wood....Once all the screws are put in the interior of the carving I then cut those long pieces of unwanted wood, two up top and two on the bottom.

Dave keep in mind I am just learning all this and and not watching any videos or reading anyones books...and actually don't care what anyone else does. I enjoy all this for it is a challenge.

I've already started with the band saw shortening some of the pieces and doing lots of angle grinding on some of the pieces...I will add some height to those leaves drooping over the top and they will stick out much farther than the rest of the things....Band saw , scroll saw, dremel with different bits and sand paper but no kind of knives. My knuckles said no to knives many years ago.

4 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

Dave keep in mind I am just learning all this and and not watching any videos or reading anyones books...and actually don't care what anyone else does.

Patch, if you're just learning this, then I haven't even been born yet using the same scale. You have creativity and artistic vision when you start one of these. I'm convinced you envision what this should look like before you ever put a grinder to it. I don't have that type of artistic creativity. I can copy (well sorta') stuff and put my own twist or alterations to something, but you create one-of-a-kind pieces of art. It just 'ain't in my DNA to do that...besides, someone's got to be in the stands to admire yours.:P

Edited by Grandpadave52

Dave you just said you can copy things and add your own thoughts and touches here and there. So what do you think I am doing, same exact words when I start thinking of another project.....

To start with my daughter sent me the school logo her husband is the head of and she also sent a picture of the mascot.... and she wants me to make something great ....I have racked my little brain trying to come up with anything that I think would look good and unusual and nothing, nothing . My brain, little as always is a blank. So I am thinking I need to make them something to hang on their wall at home and this is where I am at....I had a thought and that was all....I liked the looks of the picture that someone on Pinterest drew up.  It was not a wood model so I thought why don't I turn it into something? And guess what, some times my thoughts are way above my ability. I just enjoy the challenge and even if it gets me down all I got to do is walk outside and shut the door and go mow the yard or take a rod and reel down on the dock and forget about life for a while....It still sitting there  so I can continue when ever....This is what retired is all about. If we don't keep our minds busy it might disappear kinda like what mine is starting to do as I speak...

Dave you could post some pictures. What drive me is each time I finish something I am already thinking how I can improve from that last thing by doing this and that...Its automatic with me and these three things are from the same pattern. After finishing the first picture of the love birds I thought I could do one better and change the birds to Cardinals since we have lots of Cardinals in our area each time getting better and bigger.IMG_6848.JPG.00ea88268120c92a8f38907b35f53be4.JPG

This was a stained glass pattern my wife had used to make someone using glass. I think Danl's wife has the middle sized one in St. Louis. It was a payment for over paying.....

Edited by Smallpatch

8 hours ago, John Morris said:

Incredible work Jess, thanks so much for taking the time and sharing. You have a way of "oh shucking" down playing your work, but we can see right through ya Jess. :) We know, an artist is in there, you. Thanks for being here and letting us be a part of your woodworking journey.

I love these.

Ditto...what you said...

Way outta' my artistic imagination.

Come on guys, enough about anything past being a woodworker.

I have read every reply since time began and the biggest reason why folks don't get past gluing two boards together is they are lazy. Things like hey I cold do that but I would use up two days of my life just on that one project.

We spent the day at Knott's Berry Farm amusement park one time and there was this guy sitting in a chair drawing a picture of this girl. Didn't think much about it until about a half hour later we were going by him and the girl again and he had just finished the picture and it was like a large photograph of her...and I think that was the first time I acknowledged this guy was a true artist...I always thought to be good at anything one has to practice as in being a race car driver. You might finish the race but you sure wouldn't come in first.

This carving I'm working on had lots of shapes I had not tried to do so this is why I am playing with it. Those large swoop over leaves had and have me stumped so why not see what the out come will be instead of saying something Dave would say........

Dave, I'm calling you. Get off the computer and get out to the shop....

Dave maybe this will help..  Maybe you thought the pattern was part of the carving... But no I had to take off the pattern to start the carving process. I'm adding 1/2 to 1" extra for the swoops or what ever they re called.. Bent leaves actually. Don't compare anything to the pattern for I have done gone haywire in a place of two. But I can see some places are starting to conform.IMG_1194.thumb.JPG.17e1362ea0051edb05218c6c2d906b39.JPG

Larry, You might not learn anything thats set in writing but happy to have you along to tell me where I am going wrong. I thought in the middle of 2015 I would turn myself into a carver.. But not owning any knives I did have a Dremel so I decided I could be something else than being called a carver?? My fingers told me they were more happy holding the Dremel!!

Had a few set backs but am steady getting there. It's beginning to resemble parts of the pattern. I just can't figure out which parts..IMG_1205.thumb.JPG.caa038346c11d6e7ebf31d6c40388242.JPG

Now the fine tuning begins. That should last a week or two. If I would just look at the pattern sometimes it might help...But the fan I have running to direct the saw dust over the the filtered fans blows the pattern away..

Edited by Smallpatch