I want to reduce the thickness of a plastic (unknown composition) cutting board from Walmart. Tried the DW735 with the straight blades and the board shattered. I was only taking a 32nd off. 

Maybe a router planing jig would work??? 

Or, may wait till the Shelix head is installed in the planer???

Any ideas?

37 minutes ago, Allen Worsham said:

I would not use a planer for that purpose, but I would use a drum sander for that purpose. I had been asked by the operator of my local Chick-fil-a run some plastic-type cutting boards to get them cleaned up from all the cutting. NOTE: these were not used for cutting chicken but for other items. They were about 3/4 to 7/8" thick and ran them through the Jet 16/32 drum sander. Once I got them all sanded and gave them back to the operator he was very happy. I did this twice for him before they got too thin.

Answer (Solved)

Good one Allen

39 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Yes! In fact, that's how I make them from wood. May need to do it that way. 

That is how I do it too, a rebate around the edges.

But beware,with the thicker ZCI you may have to relieve the center for the saw washer. I have to and I use a dado which is a smaller diam. on the arbor ,set the ZCI and slowly raise it to cut the underneath of the ZCI a tad for the arbor washer to clear.

Herb

• 1 year later...