Rocky Mountain National Park

Ron Altier

We were unable to see any elk at Rocky Mountain Park, but did see some on the golf course and the one behind the fence was just across the street from our motel.   I'll bet they damage a lot of peoples yard, shrubs and trees.  Most of the park was closed because of snow and ice. They didn't tell us when we went in. We have a lifetime Sr. pass and didn't have to pay. I would have been very irritated if I had paid big $$ and not told most of the park was closed.

IMG_1479.JPG

IMG_1482.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

9 hours ago, Ron Altier said:

If they spent that much, someone should find out their IQ

Sounds to me like, the money would have been better spent determining the IQ of the individuals spending nearly 3/4M to assess the IQ of an animal...just sayin';)

10 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

The state of Arizona has spent $7000,000 to determine their IQ. To date, none have scored above granite.

15 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Sounds to me like, the money would have been better spent determining the IQ of the individuals spending nearly 3/4M to assess the IQ of an animal...just sayin';)

Arizona should've followed Indiana's lead with their deer warning system for some freeways. But no, lets reinvent the wheel. It's only money.

Wife's sister and her hubby live in Warsaw...or as the natives pronounce it "Warsarr". Been on that stretch a few times. 

We grew up in IL and have had our share of deer vs car experiences. She has hit 5. Me, only two. All 7 collisions resulted in totals. 'Course it doesn't take much to total 6-10 year old cars. 

42 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Wife's sister and her hubby live in Warsaw...or as the natives pronounce it "Warsarr". Been on that stretch a few times. 

In @Michael Thuman's backyard...been there once...

42 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

She has hit 5. Me, only two. All 7 collisions resulted in totals.

Wife (3), daughter 91), me (1) but I got the first one about 33 years ago now.:P $2700+/- on that one...the rest were all much higher, but none totaled. Mine was a doe...theirs were bucks...big $$'s:P

Truck was "new" to me but about 5 years old; I owned it less than a month. When I got home that night, told her why I was late, she responded "You mean you hit a deer with your new truck? Why did you do that?" My response, "well, I didn't have enough time to get the lug wrench out, chase it down and beat it to death...but I'm OK!" :lol: I probably could have phrased my response differently.:rolleyes:

It was a night with bizarre questions & responses all around. When the investigating deputy sheriff finally got to the scene, he questioned me, "How fast were you traveling do you suppose?" (state highway with a 55 MPH speed limit) My response "I suppose about 54 or 55 mph...maybe 56.";) Next trick question, "were you wearing your seatbelt?" (state law although IIRC correctly not for PU trucks at the time). My response, "yes I was...always do!" (which is true since Nov, 1978 after getting struck broad-side and rolled in a pick-up w/o seat belts...walked away with only a few stitches, LOTS of bruises & contusions and a concussion...but I digress). To which he replied, "it's a good idea to always wear your seatbelt; I never do, but people should.":wacko:

The next night on the way home got stopped in a Friday night State Police Sobriety check point on the same highway...I had damage to the left front, hood, grill bumper etc. Sat in the line for 30 minutes waiting and sweating my turn...watched them cuff and whisk away a couple of guys for ??? Also watch them allow two cars in front of me to pass through (maybe b/c traffic was backed up a mile or so).

Officer asked for my license,registration and proof of insurance...easy access, just had them out the night before...OK, "turn on you left turn signal; now your right one; turn on your headlights, brights." He came back to the window, and said "Your left headlight just went out (likely since it was cracked). I'm going to have to give you a Warning Repair Ticket!" I explained how that happened the night before with the deer and all. His response as he handed me the ticket "Boy this sure hasn't been your week has it?":huh: So I asked him "how long do I have to get this repaired, 30 days?" He replied, "yeah something like that...read the bottom of the ticket it tells you! Have a nice day!" :angry:

Thinking about that series of events made me realize I'm almost over it now.;)

Archived