almost a finger

steamshovel

A couple of days ago. I was ripping 1” strips on my table saw. I use my right hand & the push stick and my left hand pointing finger. I put my finger on the wood between the blade and the fence about center of blade and rip.

I started the cut and about half way I felt the end of my pointing finger getting hot. I looked and the end of my finger was on the blade but below the blades teeth. It was just rubbing against the flat surface. I moved my finger back a little and finished the cut and looked at my finger and there was a very tiny piece of skin and my finger was a little red. It was hot.

Back to the drawing board, I know what I should have been doing.

I don’t have a TV, phone or radio to distract, I just moved my finger to far and almost.

Preston

1.JPG

4.JPG

3.JPG

5.JPG

2.JPG

6.JPG

Hello Steamshovel

Consider making an adjustable jig for the left slot. Adjust the jig to the blade on the right side for the thickness of the strip you want to cut. Place the fence on the right side of the blade and place your stock against the jig. Gently move the fence into position against the stock and lock it. Remove the jig and place a guide against the stock to hold it against the fence. Turn on saw, push the stock through, no fingers get close to the blade. Reset the fence and repeat. 

hat

• 2 weeks later...

WOW - close call.  My cousin lost 3 fingers doing similar to what you were doing. 

Look into a GRR-RIPPER - I bought two to perform hand-over-hand cutting - especially for narrow pieces.  Best investment I could have made

https://www.microjig.com/products/grr-ripper

image.png.216895717533b5718241e53bca091c01.png