Interval measurements

PeteM

I have a problem with interval.  If I’m applying 12 somethings to a 48” board, I goof up the intervals every time.  Part of the problem is figuring out the interval spacings, and part is physically laying out the intervals by progressively adding one increment to each tick mark.  I am ALWAYS off at the end.  So much for talent.

I now use a variation of the “story stick” approach, but via calculation, and then a much simpler layout method.  I use a spreadsheet to figure out the interval spacing (e.g. 4.13” between dots).  I then figure out where the first location/mark will be, and then create a table of locations, each incrementing by the interval (4.13).  The computer keeps the numbers in complete accuracy, in decimal form so I don’t have to calc 1/32’s etc. 

Once I have the table complete of the locations of each tick mark, I convert all the numbers to metric because using mm (and a metric tape) is very accurate and easy to mark.  You can read a metric tape to 1/2 mm.  I can then either just print the table of mm locations, or copy them from the screen. 

Although it’s made a bit of process out of what should be (for competent people!) a snap, it saves me time in the end by eliminating measurement errors. 

And I don’t snap pencils in half.  Much.

Looks like WoodPecker has one on sale . It looks like it is made for some serious Point-to-Point-Pointing.

Herb

Evenly Divided Spaces Without the Math!  

Woodpeckers Equal Space Divider instantly positions 6 lines equidistant from each other at any spacing between 3/4" and 4", eliminating the math involved in spacing out project parts.

• Woodpeckers OneTIME Tool

Equal Space Divider

with H-D Mechanical Pencil in a Woodpeckers Case

SALE PRICE $139.99

One time long ago I tried taking a spacer block and stepping off a series of spaces. wasn't long before I was way off the correct spacing. Kind of like the carpenter that cut the stud for his new house and used it to mark the next one, then used the next one to mark the next one and so on. By the time he got around the house he was 6" high on the last corner.

Herb

I'm pulling some school math from the back of my head here from some 50 years ago, but I think there is a reasonably simple formula for this.

Example: Say you have a 48" board that you want to apply 12 "somethings" to. Simply take the length (48) and divide it by the number of "somethings" you want (12) and add 1 to that number.  I.E. 48/(12+1) = 48/13 = 3.6923 inches. Not necessarily a nice measurement to make but it is accurate. 

Gary

37 minutes ago, Cliff said:

what ever  method  you use. Debug it by laying out with pointy dividers. The divider will let you dial out any error that would  be unavoidable when  using a marker of any sort

Combine Gary's math solution with your dividers and walk it down. The beauty of it is that you could start on any longer length board and get the spacing then trim to suit...or not.