Cliff

My first one was really clumsy.  it was mostly wood  and nothing I did would hold up well.  I used 3/8-16 threads and huge knobs and still I couldn't get a solid positional clamp; it kept flopping.

Anyway this one is all aluminum and steel. I made it tool-less.  There are knurled knobs for  everything.  I had an extrusion I mounted to the back of the lathe and hung it all from that. The threads in the aluminum are all helicoils.

lathe%20dc%20-03-600x338.jpg

I once tried to use a DC on my lathe, but the mouth mounted behind the lathe, and all the chips were coming off the front, towards me.  Really bad when roughing, the chips would ride the flute down the roughing gouge and dump off onto my shoes.  Anything that mounts in the front obviously gets in the way of the gouges and chisels.  That's when I finally decided to build the trough under the bed, and hang shower curtain shrouds in front and back.  Not ideal, but it is an improvement.

13 hours ago, Cliff said:

I wanted a large mouth too but that  one was the bird in hand at the time.  

So ya think I should mass product eh?  What would you pay for one?

I would say 200 but price it at 198 to appeal. Did you drill the lathe to clamp on. That may be a deterrent for some that may not want to drill. Could you even make it for that price?

2 hours ago, PostalTom said:

and all the chips were coming off the front, towards me.

Yup  that's how it is.  I hang a tarp behind me and that stops  the big chips making them easier to clean up.  No DC  is going to get 'em from the  front cos they are both heavy and fast movers and any nozzle I'd put there would either get in the way or I'd get away from it real fast  on spindles.  For me the DC on a lathe is really all about the finer dust that carries all the deadly silica which is liberated in finishing sanding and on dry work.  That silica does permanent  damage to the lungs and the damage is cumulative and  it's all down to a micron in size.

1 hour ago, Gerald said:

Could you even make it for that price?

I bet it could  be, but the profit would be pretty low given as how it's all manual machining.  Prolly best to source it out of Taiwan  or India or Vietnam. I got a guy in Malaysia I could speak to but ya know there's no way I'd be willing to  pay for a container of them  in the hope that I could sell 'em.  I know a guy who did that.  He was a mechanic,  owned a garage and bought  half a million dollars worth of  stuff he invented like that.  He even hired a sales guy to promote it but  that was over 15 years ago and he's still got that container full of stuff.