Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Dear folks, help us raise funding for our community directly. And in the process you'll have a chance to win some terrific tools donated by our sponsors!  Read More...

John Morris

Stanley No. 49 Auger Bit Depth Stop

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Gerald said:

Nice but can you put it on the auger so we can see how it works?

When it arrives Gerald, when it arrives! I don't have it yet, this coming weekend I'll show ya'll how it works. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dadio said:

Gee and all this time I been using a piece of blue tape, sure been missing out.:huh:

Can that be set on angles?

 

Herb

No Herb, straight holes only. I guess you could fudge it if you were careful on angles, but you'd have to drill an angled hole first, then set the gauge while the auger is in the hole, and watch the tips hit the surface as you drill, but it is most definitely designed for straight holes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, John Morris said:

No Herb, straight holes only. I guess you could fudge it if you were careful on angles, but you'd have to drill an angled hole first, then set the gauge while the auger is in the hole, and watch the tips hit the surface as you drill, but it is most definitely designed for straight holes.

So when you drill the holes in your chair seats on a compound angle ,how do you do it?

Herb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

B)B)  Is that New Old Stock (NOS) John or has it been nickel re-plated? It looks like it never had been used.

I know! Isn't it awesome! The box is pretty beat up, but it looks like it's been in the box since the day it was bought a looooong time ago. I love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, John Morris said:

The box is pretty beat up,

Purists will probably disown me, but apply a couple light coats of Johnson's Paste Wax to the box inside & out. It will help preserve the box and minimize rust due to humidity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Purists will probably disown me, but apply a couple light coats of Johnson's Paste Wax to the box inside & out. It will help preserve the box and minimize rust due to humidity.

The box is cardboard Gramps, is your idea still applicable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John Morris said:

The box is cardboard Gramps, is your idea still applicable?

Yes...I do it quite often...cardboard is a product of wood pulp...as dry as that box is, it will soak the first coat almost immediately. I've also used that method on empty paper towel and TP tubes and use them for various tool storage. I sometimes use an old toothbrush to help scrub it in. I'll try to get some pictures posted this weekend. Anyways works for me.

Edited by Grandpadave52

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Yes...I do it quite often...cardboard is a product of wood pulp...as dry as that box is, it will soak the first coat almost immediately. I've also used that method on empty paper towel and TP tubes and use them for various tool storage. I sometimes use an old toothbrush to help scrub it in. I'll try to get some pictures posted this weekend. Anyways works for me.

Well all be danged, thanks for the great tip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...