Stanley No. 49 Auger Bit Depth Stop

John Morris

5 minutes ago, Dadio said:

Gee and all this time I been using a piece of blue tape, sure been missing out.:huh:

Can that be set on angles?

Herb

No Herb, straight holes only. I guess you could fudge it if you were careful on angles, but you'd have to drill an angled hole first, then set the gauge while the auger is in the hole, and watch the tips hit the surface as you drill, but it is most definitely designed for straight holes.

37 minutes ago, John Morris said:

No Herb, straight holes only. I guess you could fudge it if you were careful on angles, but you'd have to drill an angled hole first, then set the gauge while the auger is in the hole, and watch the tips hit the surface as you drill, but it is most definitely designed for straight holes.

So when you drill the holes in your chair seats on a compound angle ,how do you do it?

Herb

10 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

B)B)  Is that New Old Stock (NOS) John or has it been nickel re-plated? It looks like it never had been used.

I know! Isn't it awesome! The box is pretty beat up, but it looks like it's been in the box since the day it was bought a looooong time ago. I love it.

5 minutes ago, John Morris said:

The box is cardboard Gramps, is your idea still applicable?

Yes...I do it quite often...cardboard is a product of wood pulp...as dry as that box is, it will soak the first coat almost immediately. I've also used that method on empty paper towel and TP tubes and use them for various tool storage. I sometimes use an old toothbrush to help scrub it in. I'll try to get some pictures posted this weekend. Anyways works for me.

Edited by Grandpadave52

8 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Yes...I do it quite often...cardboard is a product of wood pulp...as dry as that box is, it will soak the first coat almost immediately. I've also used that method on empty paper towel and TP tubes and use them for various tool storage. I sometimes use an old toothbrush to help scrub it in. I'll try to get some pictures posted this weekend. Anyways works for me.

Well all be danged, thanks for the great tip!

• 5 years later...
12 hours ago, Melissa said:

Does anyone know if these Stanley auger bit stops work on modern Irwin ship auger bits? And if can they be used with a gas powered drill or can they only be used with a brace?

First, welcome to The Patriot Woodworker Melissa. Glad you found us. Hope you share some of your projects with us. We love pictures.

Not having one of these stops, I can't answer specifically if it will work on Irwin ship auger bits but I suspect not. That said, I'd have reservations anyway using one with a gas powered drill versus a hand brace simply because of speed and torque of a powered tool. Like @Fred W. Hargis Jrmentioned, you might be able to fabricate something that might work. If you have a machine/ fabrication shop in your area, I'd guess they might see making one as a challenge.