Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

That was a lot of work getting that much beautiful finish done. Question on the third pone from the bottom the finish seems to have a non matched line in it , was that a photo-graphical error?

7 hours ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

Thanks for looking!!

thanks for showing...

8 hours ago, Gerald said:

That was a lot of work getting that much beautiful finish done. Question on the third pone from the bottom the finish seems to have a non matched line in it , was that a photo-graphical error?

Gerald. Good eye! That's something that I meant to comment on in OP but just forgot. When I make the marbleizing solution the globe is dipped and kind of rolled through it. Where it exits the solution the pattern is a little different from where it begins. Hope that makes sense. It's not something I especially care for but don't seen any good way to change it.

Steve

10 hours ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

Gerald. Good eye! That's something that I meant to comment on in OP but just forgot. When I make the marbleizing solution the globe is dipped and kind of rolled through it. Where it exits the solution the pattern is a little different from where it begins. Hope that makes sense. It's not something I especially care for but don't seen any good way to change it.

Steve

Yes that does make sense. Does it do that on every use?

14 hours ago, Gerald said:

Yes that does make sense. Does it do that on every use?

It does, especially if the color is solid and I make a full rotation. Some of them I wanted to leave more wood exposed and it's not so noticeable on those. I like having the wood exposed some but not sure if others will.

Steve

On 9/23/2018 at 3:55 AM, Steve Krumanaker said:

It's not something I especially care for but don't seen any good way to change it.

is there a way to fade an overlay in then out???

22 hours ago, Dadio said:

How many dips before the solution is all one color?

Herb

Herb

Didn't mean to ignore your question, just spaced out I guess. The water begins to cloud after the first use. That doesn't seem to be an issue as only the paint floating on top of the water adheres to the medium. That can be wood, paper, or several other materials.

Steve

54 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

Is the finish done with the paint suspended on top of water?

Dan, it is. Apparently there are several similar methods and solutions that will work. From what I understand it's very popular for painting motorcycles gas tanks.

Steve

The article in The American Woodturner (AAW) was geared mainly toward platters with the painted rim as in Lew's video. He also talked about combing the paint, I presume to create a pattern.

My concern is that the water will raise the grain on the wood. Steve is that a problem to finishing?

5 hours ago, Stick486 said:

is there a way to fade an overlay in then out???

Stick, I'm smack dab in the middle of just learning to do this. I really don't have a clear idea what's possible and what might not be.

Steve

52 minutes ago, Gerald said:

The article in The American Woodturner (AAW) was geared mainly toward platters with the painted rim as in Lew's video. He also talked about combing the paint, I presume to create a pattern.

My concern is that the water will raise the grain on the wood. Steve is that a problem to finishing?

Gerald, That was a concern to me too. For these I raised the grain as part of the sanding process. Sanded the globes to 320 while still on the lathe, rubbed them down with a damp paper towel and then sanded them with 320 again. They are finished with two seal coats of shellac, sanded with 400 and then 4 coats of the water borne lacquer that I like. I did comb through the paint drops on the water but I used toothpicks and that does create some interesting patterns. I especially like the one below the bird house with the bird on the roof, the red and black ornament. The black looks like a rip in the surface to me.

Steve