• 4 weeks later...

Guys, I can always pull the car out when I need to work, as a matter of fact, it's necessary, as the last thing I would want is something to go flying and whack my wife's new car. So don't feel too sorry for me, but I am really happy with my reduced machine inventory and my new cozy space and my new direction in mainly hand tooled woodworking. It's been a wonderful adventure.

:lol: Yer funny Herb, reality is it's about time my wife gets to park in the garage in safety and security. Our neighborhood is getting a tad rough around the edges, the demographics have changed radically since the 2008 crash, and we now have a different element here, and I really wanted my wife to be able to pull directly into the garage at night, and close the door behind her, and shut the car down. We can't move, long story, but we just can't, so we make the best of it. But we will move in a few more years, just gotta hang in for a while longer.

11 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Thanks, Larry. Haven't heard The Ventures in ages.

Whoever put that film together has mad skills. It was great.

566230c121ad2_funny1.gif.9c748d862b83f507d61bafb9eed6dd8b.gif

I thought it was hilarious that the film clips seemed to go right along with the music.

My wife had to run to the bathroom after seeing it.

14 hours ago, Larry Buskirk said:

John,

How do you like the ShopSmith?

There are many reasons I love it Larry, some don't make sense but many do. The ones that don't make sense, or are at least impractical, I love the history, the company, the fanatical fan base, and I just like the feel of something small and compact in my woodworking life.

The machine: So far I have not had a chance to put it fully through the paces, but I have used the table saw and I like it, I was apprehensive about the table raising and lowering to the blade, but I really like it, it is just as accurate as any TS, I love that 1 1/4" arbor and the history behind it, plus the arbor nut that stays on the TS blade, makes for a quick change over if you out fit each of your blades with its own arbor nut.

The drill press is awesome, variable speed on the fly, and I like the adjustable table that it shares with the TS, plenty of power even at a horse and an eighth or quarter, I can't remember. Really the change over is fine, seems folks belly ache about the change over, but I am finding those folks never used a Smitty. I can change from TS to DP in little time, I haven't timed myself, but it literally takes a minute or two, which may bug some, but for me, and the fact that I just want to slow down and enjoy everything, the change over time allows me to take a breath, and I just enjoy it all.

I love the fact that I can roll all my machinery around the garage in one swoop. I am still in the honey moon period with my Smitty, so after I have used more of its features I'll be able to give a more reliable accurate account, but so far, I love it.

Did I say how cool it is, for me the cool factor is off the charts, I feel like I have an old machine in my shop (I love old machines) yet it has the features of modern machinery that we have come to expect these days.

Any thing else? Feel free to ask away.