John Morris

Any chance that where you live would be enough drier that the wood might dry back out?  I am thinking that it was operating at one time.  Perhaps a little emery cloth action to the tubes and wax would bring it back around.  Or do the sanding drum on a drill...

Looking forward to see what some others might suggest.

2 minutes ago, Cal said:

Any chance that where you live would be enough drier that the wood might dry back out?

It may have if I let it sit longer Cal, no telling. It was sitting for a month in my shop. Probably not enough time for something to dry out from the coastal environment it's been sitting in for decades.

Thanks Cal!

Did you check the moisture content of the blocks? If you have a meter, see what it is and that should give you an idea if the environment is the problem. Another solution, since you have it apart, move the blocks into the house. I'll make an assumption that your space is air conditioned. This would help dry the blocks out.

Retry the fitment after a couple of days and see if the blocks shrank any. If they swell back up in the shop you will then know how much to relieve the holes to free up the movement.

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 3/28/2020 at 3:28 PM, FlGatorwood said:

For that screw mechanism, I would put just a bit of heavy grease and let it distribute itself.  I would especially put some around the screw head where it feeds through the head.  (Don't know what you call that piece )

Grease will attract dirt and make the situation bad for the screw. Wax or dry lube will do the job.