Finally got some time in the shop, today

Artie

11 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

You can't pick up a piece of wood and put a tool to it without learning something.

The day you quit learning is the day is the day you pass.

13 hours ago, Artie said:

“I can do that”

Having woodworking as a hobby allows you to leave the daily grind at the door. Seeing a project that has new challenges can be a motivator & this is what expands the skill levels, IMO. 

13 hours ago, Artie said:

many years to get good enough at catching stripers

Took awhile for me to use my middle & pointer fingers to catch those too.

Artie, the photos I posted here are my second attempt at making a box that isn't a BS box. Now, I'm finding that I should have cut the wood 1/2 " thick for the hinges. My pieces are 3/8" thick. Hoping I can find hinges to fit now. I'm also having a problem trying to decide how to stain the wood, or whether I should leave it natural with a varnish finish. Hoping someone has ideas to help.:unsure: The samples I've tried with stains just haven't blended right with the tree bark. Still learning !

Edited by It Was Al B

On 9/11/2018 at 8:05 PM, Artie said:

good enough at catching stripers

I miss being up north for the spring & fall striper runs!!!

As far as I can tell they can be caught down here (SC) in the Intercoastal Waterway --BUT__ they're only about a foot to 18"

Not like the beauties up there --36"+

For that matter I miss the blue fish also.

Can't buy either in the stores down here.  Bummer

14 hours ago, smitty10101 said:

As far as I can tell they can be caught down here (SC) in the Intercoastal Waterway --BUT__ they're only about a foot to 18"

Not like the beauties up there --36"+

For that matter I miss the blue fish also.

Can't buy either in the stores down here.  Bummer

Spent 13 of the happiest years of my life chasing them. Got married and needed the dough to get a place to live, so the boat had to go.  :(

On 9/13/2018 at 8:02 AM, smitty10101 said:

A foot to 18". Not legal keepers. :(

On 9/12/2018 at 5:29 PM, It Was Al B said:

Artie, the photos I posted here are my second attempt at making a box that isn't a BS box. Now, I'm finding that I should have cut the wood 1/2 " thick for the hinges. My pieces are 3/8" thick. Hoping I can find hinges to fit now. I'm also having a problem trying to decide how to stain the wood, or whether I should leave it natural with a varnish finish. Hoping someone has ideas to help.:unsure: The samples I've tried with stains just haven't blended right with the tree bark. Still learning !

These hinges from the post that Stick put up should work on 3/8" thick sides.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Hardware/page.aspx?p=45242&cat=3,41241,41242&ap=1

Herb

looking good Art...

if you want less saw marks in you rips, raise the blade a little...

too shallow of a cut can generate ''chatter'' which leaves marks...

and/or...

less run in/out on the fence...

and/or..

don't pause when sawing...

and yes...

frame is correct...

32 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

looking good Art...

if you want less saw marks in you rips, raise the blade a little...

too shallow of a cut can generate ''chatter'' which leaves marks...

and/or...

less run in/out on the fence...

and/or..

don't pause when sawing...

and yes...

frame is correct...

Stick, thank you so much! This is the stuff I got no idea about! I figgered the minimum the blade was above the cut, the safer I was. I will be doing some cutting tomorrow, so I will do that.  Thank you again (and I will happily take all the advice you choose to send my way!).

1 minute ago, Artie said:

I figgered the minimum the blade was above the cut, the safer I was.

True it is safer...A Good "Rule of Thumb" is minimum above the bottom of the tooth to maximum of the bottom of the gullet.

As Stick said too, a steady feed rate is best, but that differs depending on the wood type & hardness.

Keep the pictures coming...don't forget to Select "Save Plans" in your head before going to sleep.:lol:

3 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

True it is safer...A Good "Rule of Thumb" is minimum above the bottom of the tooth to maximum of the bottom of the gullet.

As Stick said too, a steady feed rate is best, but that differs depending on the wood type & hardness.

Keep the pictures coming...don't forget to Select "Save Plans" in your head before going to sleep.:lol:

Thank you, I am learning by the way I learn best, doing it LOL. I got a Kreg pocket hole jig and am cutting a piece of MDO tomorrow to mount it to (One of the drawbacks to living in a townhouse, not nice to make noise after 8:00pm on a Saturday. Got little kids in the unit on one side, and the unit on the other side is the unit that makes the most complaints to the board on an annual basis. I is on the board :) ) I will try the cut with the blade set higher, but not higher than the gullets.