Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Larry Schweitzer

International Woodworking Fair 2018

Rate this topic

10 hours ago, Larry Schweitzer said:

Got Marta rail tickets to ride the subways where we needed to go, cheap! One of our guys was new to bigger city life and stuck to me like glue.

After riding Marta is probably why he stuck to you like glue.:P

10 hours ago, Larry Schweitzer said:

Anyone else make the trip?

No. However appreciate your review and perspective of the event. Sounds like it was a beneficial trip for you and your colleagues. 

12 hours ago, Larry Schweitzer said:

We just cut 80 sheets of 3/4" mdf into 2 7/16" rips.

Larry, that is a heck of a recommendation! Consumer grade bits wouldn't last one sheet of MDF! Thanks so much for the review, I love hearing what folks see and about the vendors who showed up, the Chinese market in automation seems to be off the rails in volume doesn't it? My goodness, every time I turn around my email gets packed with CNC and automated machinery from a Chinese vendor! :D

While walking around, did you notice at all if the machinery was basically the same but with a different label? Or at that level do they really design and build there own? Thanks.

John. Though many CNCs share components, I didn't notice the same practice of "change the paint and call it another brand" like on so much of the basic woodworking equipment. There were more Chinese banders than before. Most all claiming to be designed someplace else. 

The MDF was cut on our beam saw. Part of the reason miles of cut line can be done with a blade is using optimal feed speeds, a very ridged carriage and of course quality blades. It doesn't pay to use consumer level tooling. 

Gramps, Marta is a great way to travel. I've been using it for 20 years. The 5 points station can seem like a rat maze where you have to change trains on different levels. I like the really long escalator in the Peach tree station. You could get vertigo looking down it. $19 for 4 days of unlimited travel on the rail & bus lines, dirt cheap, fast, direct to & from Hartsfield airport & no parking hassles! Recommended... It isn't as extensive as in other cities I've been. I lived in London for awhile, great tube system. Tokyo also had a very good, but overloaded system. NY, OK but can't say much good about Chicago's. 

3 hours ago, Larry Schweitzer said:

Gramps, Marta is a great way to travel. I've been using it for 20 years.

Larry, It's been several years since I rode Marta train...vowed I'd never do it again but will admit it was somewhat cleaner than New York's sub-ways; Never ridden the train in Chicago. I did travel the buses with good experiences.

That said, Atlanta remains my favorite large U.S. city. I've never been to Los Angeles and nor have intentions to deliberately go there. :lol:

Over the years, I've flown in/out of Hartsfield numerous times and can say I only had one bad experience trying to fly out due to fog...It certainly beats O'Hare IMHO.