Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Patriot Woodworkers with Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2019 project is live, please click on link to view our very special annual project.

Rate this topic

I am curious, I have looked all over for an example of a Mark V mounted on a cabinet roll away similar to the 10er's. But have found none. I am curious why? I see plenty of SS's with a cabinet built to sit underneath, but what I am looking for are any ideas for building one that the Mark V can set on, thus eliminating the factory legs. It seems simple enough, but there must be a variable in design I am not seeing, that prevents this from happening. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Shopsmith 10er on table, can this be done with a Mark V? Now just imagine a Mark V, I'd like to build a roll away cabinet for the Mark V to sit on, with drawers and doors. And flip down stop caster axles incorporated somehow, so just like the Mark V stand, with a flick of my foot, the cabinet rest on the ground.

mvc-005s.jpg

2 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

Looks like the posts for the table adjustment would need consideration with design.  Can't see any other reason not to remove the legs and go for it.

Thanks Dan, perhaps some holes bored in the cabinet top for the posts to slide through, with accommodation for the post inside the cabinet too, to travel through, hmmm, hadn't thought of that.

Woops, I see the flaw in my conceptual design theory already, the power head needs to slide up and down the carriage, and those posts could end up anywhere on the traveled way, thus creating a way within the cabinet to accept those posts at any given location, would be a major PITA.

1 minute ago, John Morris said:

Thanks Dan, perhaps some holes bored in the cabinet top for the posts to slide through, with accommodation for the post inside the cabinet too, to travel through, hmmm, hadn't thought of that.

See how low they go and add spacer blocks under the ends.  I don't have one so not sure if other attachments need considered too.

Thanks again, or I could just build the cabinet between the posts. Here is an image of a hanging cabinet for a Mark V, the posts sink below the surface of the cabinet, missing the cabinet sides. so this cabinet is build between the posts.

I suppose I could just build the cabinet narrow enough to miss the posts, and then mounting the Mark V should not be a problem.

file.php?id=1997

3 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Just one question: why?

Not sure Gene, it was just an image that popped up in my head, I had not really thought of pro's or con's yet. I do like the hanging cabinet folks are building, but to have a hanging cabinet with all that weight on those poles, doesn't seem right to me, so I thought how about a rolling cabinet the SS mounts onto? That will house all the SS gear (minus attachments) within.

But the main reason is space consolidation, everything in one place, and at hands ready.

1 hour ago, John Morris said:

Not sure Gene, it was just an image that popped up in my head, I had not really thought of pro's or con's yet. I do like the hanging cabinet folks are building, but to have a hanging cabinet with all that weight on those poles, doesn't seem right to me, so I thought how about a rolling cabinet the SS mounts onto? That will house all the SS gear (minus attachments) within.

But the main reason is space consolidation, everything in one place, and at hands ready.

The tubes will take the weight of a cabinet, jointer and belt sander. However, it makes moving the unit a bit harder. My accessories (Belt sander and BS) are on dedicated home built stands. If I had wall space, they'd be on the wall.

You might consider a cabinet with retractable wheels. Also, there's an up grade to the wheels on the SS. Might make it easier to move with the hanging cabinet. 

Mine get moved often so, anything that makes that more cumbersome ain't good.